What's new

Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro

jeffskent

Yeah, I'm chagrined. I had to google it and then it was easy. Now all is really well. I hope the Modern apps will improve rapidly to become even more useful than the Win 7 style applications. Or, are Win 8 Modern style apps meant to be less useful and adaptable than older style Win 7 applications? I hope not.

Sit

I just installed Win 8.1. It took about an hour and all is well. I changed my lock screen on my Surface Pro to be the desktop picture I use on the desktop. It looks good, fast, and I have yet to figure out how to boot directly to the desktop. One of the few complaints I have for Win 8 is that I find the apps don't function as well as on standard Win 7 applications. I'm referring specifically to Kindle, Evernote, and any file search apps or picture display apps, at least as far as I can tell up to now.

Lots of good info jeffskent. Thanks!
You mention "picture display apps". What's you favorite? The picture app that came with pro is OK but I would like to limit displayed pictures to a subset of all my pictures.

Thanks.

mtalinm

installed it about an hour ago. don't forget to snatch the updates AFTER the 8.1 is installed.

so far, uneventuful. the windows icon where the desktop menu used to be is just a tease, pretty stupid if you ask me - a PR move.

hard to tell whether desktop scaling is any better/different. they do not let you set different text scaling % for different mojnitors as far as I can tell.

they put some stupid fish as my Metro background, not sure how to revert to the "circuit" desk I had previously.

now if Strava would only ship a Win8/phone app and then I could ditch my andrdoid phone

fonzman78

installed it about an hour ago. don't forget to snatch the updates AFTER the 8.1 is installed.

Good catch on the updates after the install. I installed 8.1 and everything went well. I didn't even think to look and see if there were further updates available. As you mentioned, so far uneventful. I need to play around some more to see how much of a difference 8.1 makes.

mitchellvii

After latest updates to 8.1, New Bento is much faster but the home tiles are going NUTS! They are flashing live tiles images at lightning speed. It's almost funny.

tonyz3

Can anyone confirm how many apps you can snap on the screen while in tablet mode as well as how many on external monitor. Also, if any one with multi ext monitors can let me know if you can snap one app on each ext monitor?

mitchellvii

Gotta say that with the newer faster IE 11 with reasonably nice favorites management that Modern UI IE 11 is now my go to browser when using just the tablet.

Unfortunately the zooming is broken when trying to use an external monitor and the text looks like s*** on a big screen so I'll be staying with Firefox for that.

tonyz3

WHAT ABOUT THE APP SNAPPING....... ANYONE. DONT MIND THE CAPS..[video=youtube;jGyOD9mr7vY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGyOD9mr7vY[/video]

ArnoldC

I don't have a Pro, so my reply might not be relevant, but I now have 4 snapped views, 2 on the Acer S3 screen and two on my Samsung TV.

mitchellvii

I am still trying to figure out the zoom adjustments for external monitors. For the life of me I can't get how this is supposed to work. I think that maybe it works ONLY for Modern UI apps and not legacy desktop apps. In that case, thanks for nuthin, MS.