What's new

Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro

ArnoldC

I was able to make the desktop programs larger. Modern apps on the main LCD remain the same size, so I now have independent scaling of desktop applications and Modern UI apps.

ArnoldC

I now have two desktop, one on the main LCD and one on my Samsung TV and they have different scaling. Nice!

Disclaimer: I'm stating this based on what I did with my Acer S3.

CrazyT

On Windows 8, I did the registry hack to get my Modern Tiles Row Count to 5 but it seems to be "fixed" in Windows 8.1. Has anyone been able to get it working again?

ArnoldC

Doesn't work through the store for me as I'm not a supported language.... English (Uk), come on ISO, release!

ISO is only announced for Windows 8.1 Enterprise. Windows 8.1 Pro ISO is only available from MSDN subscription. That's where I got mine.

mitchellvii

I now have two desktop, one on the main LCD and one on my Samsung TV and they have different scaling. Nice!

Disclaimer: I'm stating this based on what I did with my Acer S3.

How did you do this? I can't make it work for desktop apps.

ArnoldC

I created a crappy video for you. I will be back later for the two simple steps. Got to go to the office first.

[video=vimeo;69279965]http://vimeo.com/69279965[/video]

ArnoldC

And here's what i did-

1. Select Samsung display

3ejuputa.jpg

2. Change scaling

jydagusu.jpg

Done.

tonyz3

I tried that and it just made a mess of things. Will try it again.
so i jumped in this evening with the RT and am loving the update with everything. I am going to tackle the SP tomorrow afternoon than i will focus on tis scaling issue on mtwo monitors.

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

jeffskent

Lots of good info jeffskent. Thanks!
You mention "picture display apps". What's you favorite? The picture app that came with pro is OK but I would like to limit displayed pictures to a subset of all my pictures.

Thanks.

I still use Windows Photo Viewer on the desktop, where I spend about 95% of my time. I have yet, as I said, found a Modern app that is superior to a regular application. Kindle modern is close because the page change is only a swipe anywhere on the screen. Evernote modern as well, but I still do most of my usage with a mouse and keyboard on a 27" monitor. Only when forced to would I use the 10.6" screen, but it is still usable.

Firipu

Anyone running a non-english version of windows 8, updated to windows 8.1 and managed to change the language to english?

I have a Jap windows 8. Installed the English language pack. Updated to windows 8.1 through the store. It's back to Japanese... And I can't install the English language pack in windows 8.1

Really sucks