What's new

Windows 8.1 on Surface Pro

mitchellvii

You know, I have to admit that with Windows 8.1, running Modern UI Explorer 11 is a real pleasure. The Favorites are easy to use, it's blazing fast and looks good (on the small SP screen, still looks like s*** on a bigger screen) and being able to swipe back and forth to pages really is great.

Modern UI IE 11 is now my goto browser. Don't even use the Desktop browsers anymore.

But then again, I am using the SP ONLY as a tablet now and not a Desktop replacement, so keep that in mind. If MS could get their act together on their font-smoothing algorithm the SP would be a serious contender for Desktop replacement status again instead of just accessory.

Just hate jaggy fonts.

Quicky

For those that have installed 8.1, have any of you found that additional recovery partitions have been created?

Pirnie

Am I the only one who can't figure out how to download the Windows 8.1 Preview from the Store. I don't see it listed. What am I doing wrong?

ArnoldC

Am I the only one who can't figure out how to download the Windows 8.1 Preview from the Store. I don't see it listed. What am I doing wrong?

You have to download an update and reboot first, before it will become visible from the store. If your Surface is not released from one of the country stated by Microsoft, you have to use a hack or perform a clean install from an ISO.

bangsters

anyone having issues with the tiles when set to 6 rows? It looks like it reverts back to 4 rows after the SP goes to sleep. If you reboot it goes back to 6 rows though.

I also noticed that after waking up from sleep, the display settings->more options keep going back to default instead of smaller, which is what's causing the rows to revert to 4 rows instead of 6.

Anyone else experiencing this?

apoc_reg

I've got the preview iso installed on my uk surface pro which is working great, I really do love the changes.

Only problem is I cant work out have to change win + up to bring up the onscreen keyboard, its stuck on the default narrator setting. It seems to be missing from the ease of access options at the moment!