What's new

Windows 8.1 question

davebw

Ha wait a minute, just checked windows update and I have 60odd updates to install with a restart. Hopefully thats why

OP
M

minimojoman

I cannot get it to download... it doesn't show up as downloading when I click it, I restarted and it shows it in the downloading but it just says it failed, and gives me a code.. ill have to restart again to get the code. Hmmmmm I wanna update!!!!!

Getting error 0x80240031

Last edited:
OP
M

minimojoman

Guess it was my phones internet, doesn't tether very well.... Starbucks internet is too slow to download the update, guess ill have to wait until I get home :-D

mtalinm

What an improvement! Much zipper than 8.1 preview. Flawless/painless install (other than reinstalling desktop apps).

I'm eve optimistic than the metro apps won't crash so much.

kristalsoldier

Oh well, Metro apps still crashlike a Yugo.

Well, the only app that I had a problem with 8 hours or so after installing 8.1 (on my desktop machine) is the Mail app. I nuked the sucker immediately and reinstalled from the Store and all seems well now. No other issues though.

demandarin

Has anyone checked for or installed updates since 8.1? I just saw a few of them. But there is the system update from 10/5 on there. I know I applied this update the other day and didn't change any drivers or anything since. I'm kind of Leary on installing it again. I noticed on 8.1 install we got a very recent display/graphics driver. I'm worried this system update will roll it back or something. Hmm..lol

Update: well it seemed to download and install it anyways although I unchecked it..smh. Before that though, I noticed my pen wasn't registering at all. I just reinstalled latest waocom driver and its working fine again.

I saw on redditt that Intel just released new generic graphics drivers for win 8.1. its dated 10/17. I haven't installed it yet though.

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

After installing the 8.1 update (on both the desktop machine and the RT) there were a number of updates including a firmware update (for the RT, that is).

olimjj

Has anyone checked for or installed updates since 8.1? I just saw a few of them. But there is the system update from 10/5 on there. I know I applied this update the other day and didn't change any drivers or anything since. I'm kind of Leary on installing it again. I noticed on 8.1 install we got a very recent display/graphics driver. I'm worried this system update will roll it back or something. Hmm..lol

Update: well it seemed to download and install it anyways although I unchecked it..smh. Before that though, I noticed my pen wasn't registering at all. I just reinstalled latest waocom driver and its working fine again.

I saw on redditt that Intel just released new generic graphics drivers for win 8.1. its dated 10/17. I haven't installed it yet though.

After the upgrade to 8.1 my display driver was 10.18.10.3316 dated 10/13/2013
When I applied the subsequent Windows update it shows as HD graphics 4000 WDDM 1.3 driver version 10.18.10.3262 dated 7/31/2013
I am not sure yet whether I will keep this???