What's new

Windows 8.1 question

flyfishingphil

Picked up an RT a few weeks ago and have been adjusting to the changes after using android for a couple of years so am new to this system. Now a couple quick question re 8.1 update on RT. Received notice last night of update. Downloaded, installed, did the large number of other updates following all of the prompts and think everything installed properly.

Tried to go to my Yahoo, from the apps icons on the start page, and it opened ok but stalled out on the calendar and email with an "Oops" message and "Try again later". Also does not respond to any attempt, doing swipe or touch cover, in "moving" the page so I can see anything below about the first 1 1/2 of the options on the page. If I open IE, view in Desktop, I can view my Yahoo page and everything on it, slide up and down the page using the right sidebar slider, have the accesses to various other items on the toolbar and no other problems.

Any ideas on the problem and how to correct it?

demandarin

After the upgrade to 8.1 my display driver was 10.18.10.3316 dated 10/13/2013
When I applied the subsequent Windows update it shows as HD graphics 4000 WDDM 1.3 driver version 10.18.10.3262 dated 7/31/2013
I am not sure yet whether I will keep this???

Ok..i knew I wasn't going crazy..i saw the exact same thing. Then did same updates with same result. I wonder what the WDDM stands for.

Eilene

Can anyone tell me why I would want to upgrade from RT to 8.1? I am only a little "literate" on using my tablet but if 8.1 is better I would want to do it. Thanks . .Eilene

kristalsoldier

Can anyone tell me why I would want to upgrade from RT to 8.1? I am only a little "literate" on using my tablet but if 8.1 is better I would want to do it. Thanks . .Eilene

Well, for one, 8.1 is a lot more polished (and, I dare say, optimized for the Surface hardware - 1st and 2nd generation). A lot more of customization is possible with 8.1 as compared to 8.0. Secondly, and this depends on if you use Outlook (specifically, the email application), Outlook RT is available for free as a part of Office RT. This completes the MS Office suite.

oion

Here is someone else's list of reasons to upgrade to Windows RT 8.1 from Windows RT 8.0:
10 New Features in Windows 8.1 Preview that saved my Surface RT - Scott Hanselman

The biggest change is the addition of MS Outlook (RT version). Then there are some UI changes like different tile sizes and allowing your desktop wallpaper as the start screen background. There are performance tweaks. Your Microsoft Account will be more front and center because MS wants people to use it for the cloud services. 8.1 also installs Internet Explorer 11 instead of IE10; there are a few issues with IE11 and websites serving it mobile pages, but that's only a problem if your most important sites aren't compatible (in which case, you can roll back to 8.0).

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

I highly recommend creating a USB recovery drive before updating your Surface RT: Create a USB recovery drive for Microsoft Surface | Free up Surface storage space

kristalsoldier

Here is someone else's list of reasons to upgrade to Windows RT 8.1 from Windows RT 8.0:
10 New Features in Windows 8.1 Preview that saved my Surface RT - Scott Hanselman

The biggest change is the addition of MS Outlook (RT version). Then there are some UI changes like different tile sizes and allowing your desktop wallpaper as the start screen background. There are performance tweaks. Your Microsoft Account will be more front and center because MS wants people to use it for the cloud services. 8.1 also installs Internet Explorer 11 instead of IE10; there are a few issues with IE11 and websites serving it mobile pages, but that's only a problem if your most important sites aren't compatible (in which case, you can roll back to 8.0).

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows

I highly recommend creating a USB recovery drive before updating your Surface RT: Create a USB recovery drive for Microsoft Surface | Free up Surface storage space

Nice and comprehensive!