What's new

Windows 8.1 RTM - experiences

pierre118

A few days ago Windows 8.1 RTM 'leaked'. I did a fresh install on my home pc. I'm satisfied and doubting now if I would install it on my Surface Pro.
Had somebody already installed it on his/her SP? And what are your thoughts about it? Does all work as expected?

Ruffles

I don't understand. You say your satisfied - i.e. you like it but you don't know if you want it on your Surface? Why not?

Omni

I can't think of any reason anyone wouldn't want to install it so think he's got his words mixed up. :D

oion

OP is asking for 8.1 experiences because he's satisfied with his vanilla Pro. Basically he's asking "is 8.1 worth it?" specifically for the Pro. But I agree with the above posters that the OP is kinda confusing. He installed on desktop; it's good; not sure about Surface Pro (which is also a full computer).

I'm waiting for 8.1 on my RT and believe the featured improvements (listed in various articles around the 'net, just search) are worth it, but I'm not interested in finding the leaked versions right now and will just wait for the official push since my RT is quite stable and all.

Last edited:

obmotum

Hi,

i've got Windows 8.1 RTM running on my Surface Pro for about 4 days now. And it is great. I like how you you can customize the Start Screen now. It is much easier. New Apps don''t get automatically added at the end. The Touch based Control Panel is great. Can nearly change every setting using it. No need for the Desktop variant for most of the time.

Greetings from Germany

bangsters

so far so good. it's got significant fixes from the 8.1 preview. the tile and resolution issue has been fixed (where a 6 row tile reverts back to 3 after the tablet wakes up from sleep). wifi issues so far are non existent, although I'll need more time to confirm that.

EMINENT

Everything working fine with desktop and Pro. Only issue I have is pulse.me website in IE not allowing me to click sources. Pulse app at least still works fine though until it gets sorted.

sjfwhite

I am a Technet subscriber so got legit access to 8.1 yesterday in the form of an ISO. I am prepared to do an upgrade install of 8.1 but wondering how much extra space gets eaten up with the install (as space is already at a premium). Does the install do a good job of overwriting files and removing temporary files? Otherwise, I would consider doing a clean install and start fresh. Thoughts?

TeknoBlast

I am a Technet subscriber so got legit access to 8.1 yesterday in the form of an ISO. I am prepared to do an upgrade install of 8.1 but wondering how much extra space gets eaten up with the install (as space is already at a premium). Does the install do a good job of overwriting files and removing temporary files? Otherwise, I would consider doing a clean install and start fresh. Thoughts?

I actually gained space when I installed 8.1 on my Acer W3. I think I gained about 1.5GB.