What's new

Windows 8.1 RTM is now available on MSDN to download

chillzatl

Has anyone used this version yet to upgrade? I've got an MSDN account and a Surface Pro. I've downloaded the .ISO, but when I try to run the setup to upgrade it doesn't accept my key. I pulled the key with MJB keyfinder. Thanks.

TeknoBlast

Alright, so I downloaded the Windows 8.1 version I need, which is the 64-bit. When I kick off the set up, it wants to only save my files, not apps. It doesn't give me an option to "upgrade." Anyone else running into this.

Let me add this, I kicked off the same setup, WIN8.1 64-bit, on my UltraBook and it placed my original Windows 8 in a .old folder, but kept my files as instructed. All my apps such as Office 2013 are gone. I don't mind what happened on my Ultrabook since I use that as my test device. I just don't want this to happen to my desktop and Surface Pro.

chillzatl

Alright, so I downloaded the Windows 8.1 version I need, which is the 64-bit. When I kick off the set up, it wants to only save my files, not apps. It doesn't give me an option to "upgrade." Anyone else running into this.

Let me add this, I kicked off the same setup, WIN8.1 64-bit, on my UltraBook and it placed my original Windows 8 in a .old folder, but kept my files as instructed. All my apps such as Office 2013 are gone. I don't mind what happened on my Ultrabook since I use that as my test device. I just don't want this to happen to my desktop and Surface Pro.

Did you have the 8.1 preview installed? When the preview was released, they said that it would not upgrade to 8.1 final, but 8 to 8.1 final should upgrade as expected.

TeknoBlast

Did you have the 8.1 preview installed? When the preview was released, they said that it would not upgrade to 8.1 final, but 8 to 8.1 final should upgrade as expected.

No, never did any previews or demos of Windows 8.1. This is just on my Windows 8 Pro desktop that I just built the other day. Since I have Windows 8 all set up the way I want and all the applications installed, I just want a simple upgrade, not a fresh install.

TeknoBlast

Well this is weird, I just kicked off the upgrade for my Acer W3, which is a 32bit version of Windows 8 and I got the option to upgrade and keep everything. The only thing I did different was I kicked off the setup from a USB stick, not from the local hard drive. I wonder if I need to do the same for my desktop. I'll try that and let you guys know.

chillzatl

Well this is weird, I just kicked off the upgrade for my Acer W3, which is a 32bit version of Windows 8 and I got the option to upgrade and keep everything. The only thing I did different was I kicked off the setup from a USB stick, not from the local hard drive. I wonder if I need to do the same for my desktop. I'll try that and let you guys know.

THanks for the followup. I have a w3 in my stack to upgrade as well, so i'll try that with it and any others that don't give me the upgrade option.

TeknoBlast

No luck on my desktop. I tried different methods of trying to get that "keep settings, apps, and files" option. I copied the install files to a USB stick like I did for the Acer, but didn't not work. So far, only my Acer W3 was able to upgrade in place and keep everything.

Looks like i'll have to wait until the upgrade is released through the windows store. I tried both my desktops and my surface pro and I'm not getting the 'keep settings' option. I'll probably do the computer my wife uses since theres not much on there.

Last edited:

chillzatl

No luck on my desktop. I tried different methods of trying to get that "keep settings, apps, and files" option. I copied the install files to a USB stick like I did for the Acer, but didn't not work. So far, only my Acer W3 was able to upgrade in place and keep everything.

Looks like i'll have to wait until the upgrade is released through the windows store. I tried both my desktops and my surface pro and I'm not getting the 'keep settings' option. I'll probably do the computer my wife uses since theres not much on there.

weird, my W3 worked as well. I plan to do my surface pro tomorrow and i'll report back on the result. Thanks.