What's new

Windows 8.1 - Things you have noticed...

mdfire

I was able to download a recovery file for 8.0 RT from here if anyone needs it.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2225285

I can confirm that it works and is safe to use. I lost the use of my touch and type covers with the 8.1 update but using this brought me back to 8.0 and keyboards are working fine. First time ive used 8.0 since June and realise how bad it is :)-

Sent from the SurfaceForums.net app for Windows 8

Last edited:

Toekiller

I solved my pen issue. I needed to uninstall the wacom pen application.

My major issue I now have is that search in IE is very slow. as you type the machine freezes and also when I change the search option from everywhere to IE, IE closes.

m5racer

Internet explorer is no longer scaling web pages properly. Only about 80% of the page shows from side to side. So for example, on this forum, I cannot see the posters name/picture on left while reading a post because I need to slide to the right in order to see the entire post..... anyone know how to fix this internet explorer scaling issue so the whole age is displayed on the screen (frm side to side)

CrippsCorner

The new apps included in windows 8.1 such as fitness and food/drink do not work for me at all. When I open them I get a blank screen. I uninstalled them and tried to reinstall, but I then get an error that they can't install on to my system. Anyone else have this issue?

Another thing I noticed is why can't I have 3 apps open side by side at the same time?

The multiple snapped apps thing depends on the screen resolution to how many you can have. I'm not sure of the exact limits, but I can't get more than 2 open on my Surface either (I must try this on my 20" monitor)

BillJ

After upgrading to ver 8.1 my metro SkyDrive app will only allow access to SkyDrive if I'm logged on to my computer using a Microsoft Account (rather than a local account).

Unfortunately, this will be a HUGE issue for many people. There is probably a work-around for this, but why not include the option of a local sign-on? Also, I do not appreciate losing the "fetch from another computer" function that was present with SkyDrive on 8.0. I found that very helpful since we have multiple devices sharing documents and data, not all of which are in SkyDrive.
I hope MS engineers are listening to some of these concerns, and can come up with some fixes for them

fishhead_soup

My Pro is acting like a petulant child and refuses to go to sleep at the appropriate intervals. Either that or it's waking up extremely fast. In any case, before the update I've set sleep times for 15 min on battery, and 30 on power with a password required to resume. When I come back the Pro just pops up without the need for my password, not the desired action. Any suggestions?

GypsyMoth

Well, it is a pretty big issue for me. Don't like to be told how I work, and I've always been a proponent of the policy of only using potentially risky services when needed (not leaving the service always running...). Because of how 8.1 behaves with the SkyDrive app I haven't upgraded my desktop system and am considering reverting back to ver 8 on my Surface Pro.

Unfortunately, this will be a HUGE issue for many people. There is probably a work-around for this, but why not include the option of a local sign-on? Also, I do not appreciate losing the "fetch from another computer" function that was present with SkyDrive on 8.0. I found that very helpful since we have multiple devices sharing documents and data, not all of which are in SkyDrive.
I hope MS engineers are listening to some of these concerns, and can come up with some fixes for them

oion

Well, it is a pretty big issue for me. Don't like to be told how I work, and I've always been a proponent of the policy of only using potentially risky services when needed (not leaving the service always running...). Because of how 8.1 behaves with the SkyDrive app I haven't upgraded my desktop system and am considering reverting back to ver 8 on my Surface Pro.

You can still use a local login, then just switch from SkyDrive to another cloud share if you want, like DropBox... though since they're both cloud services, obviously they carry the same risks. Or use a local login, skip the cloud services entirely, and use a physical media backup (microSD or USB flash drive).

GypsyMoth

You can still use a local login, then just switch from SkyDrive to another cloud share if you want, like DropBox... though since they're both cloud services, obviously they carry the same risks. Or use a local login, skip the cloud services entirely, and use a physical media backup (microSD or USB flash drive).

Yes, I agree, I can change the way I do my work... shouldn't have to though...

CrippsCorner

My Pro is acting like a petulant child and refuses to go to sleep at the appropriate intervals. Either that or it's waking up extremely fast. In any case, before the update I've set sleep times for 15 min on battery, and 30 on power with a password required to resume. When I come back the Pro just pops up without the need for my password, not the desired action. Any suggestions?

All I can say in relation to this is that it's not Windows 8.1 related... as I had a similar issue with Windows 8. I managed to find information online (sorry, can't remember where now) and tried everything which didn't seem to help. But one day it just randomly started working fine again, to this day I have no idea why!

fishhead_soup

All I can say in relation to this is that it's not Windows 8.1 related... as I had a similar issue with Windows 8. I managed to find information online (sorry, can't remember where now) and tried everything which didn't seem to help. But one day it just randomly started working fine again, to this day I have no idea why!

I've wasted too much time on such silly inconveniences. I was able to find a possible solution in option 2 of this thread on eightforms.com

Password - Require after Display is Off in Windows 8.1

Now, if anyone can help to disable the frequent list from showing on ie11, I could go about my business in relative peace.