What's new

Windows 8.1 Update 1 fixes the "slow Wi-Fi when bluetooth devices connected" problem

jrapdx

I've watch my update history in the control panel all the time and I've never seen any update called Update 1. I have noticed something peculiar though. It looks like every 4 or 5 days or so it installs System Firmware Update - 2/11/2014 again. Wish I knew what that was all about.

I also run the Bose Soundlink via Bluetooth. The same one you mentioned. Fantastic little speakers. I also have the bigger one. I have never had a problem listening to music over the Internet using the Bose Soundlink.

There was a thread here recently about the repeating update issue. I had that going on too. Go to Windows Update/Troubleshoot problems... It refers to an MS site that downloads an app which will identify and probably fix the problem. Something about deleting the Windows update store, which in theory eliminates the problem.

I did this several days ago and so far so good. However since it had been an irregularly recurring event, I can't say for sure it's been eradicated. Time will tell.

Last edited:

wditters

I can confirm that as of Windows 8.1 update 1 RTM the slow wifi problem on 2.4Ghz when Bluetooth is active has been fixed. My wifi speeds are now constant on 2.4ghz, with or without Bluetooth connected

However, when connecting a Bluetooth Mouse, Keyboard and Bluetooth audio, the mouse lag still is there when connected to both Wifi and USB Ethernet ... Still need to check whether this only applies to stereo audio or both audio to speakers and voice to a Plantronics headset

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

I can confirm that as of Windows 8.1 update 1 RTM the slow wifi problem on 2.4Ghz when Bluetooth is active has been fixed. My wifi speeds are now constant on 2.4ghz, with or without Bluetooth connected

However, when connecting a Bluetooth Mouse, Keyboard and Bluetooth audio, the mouse lag still is there when connected to both Wifi and USB Ethernet ... Still need to check whether this only applies to stereo audio or both audio to speakers and voice to a Plantronics headset

Well that's...

1) Fantastic news!

2) Annoying for me (wasted £70 lol :()

3) Very strange, indeed. I don't quite know how they've managed to change the way the integrated chip works just with a software update, impressive stuff!

wditters

Well that's...

3) Very strange, indeed. I don't quite know how they've managed to change the way the integrated chip works just with a software update, impressive stuff!

Probably some prioritization routines or error correction ... The interference is still there, just the impact has changed apparently ... Otherwise the lag on the Bluetooth mouse would also have disappeared ....

InkyRag

There is no improvement with Update 1 or today's release of the new driver with respect to bluetooth interference and wifi speeds. These speed tests are identical to ones that I took earlier before the updates and posted to another thread. The following are with the March firmware update and Windows 8.1 Update 1.

5 Ghz wifi with Bluetooth enabled and a Bluetooth mouse connected.

2.4 Ghz with without Bluetooth enabled.

2.4 Ghz wifi with Bluetooth enabled and a Bluetooth mouse connected.

Last edited:

jrapdx

There is no improvement with Update 1 or today's release of the new driver with respect to bluetooth interference and wifi speeds. These speed tests are identical to ones that I took earlier before the updates and posted to another thread. The following are with the March firmware update and Windows 8.1 Update 1.

I've not yet received the March FW updates so I haven't tested it yet. My current results are similar to yours, 2.4GHz WiFi speed is cut in half (130 vs. 65 mpbs). I really hoped an update would resolve, at least improve the WiFi/BT problem. Your results are not encouraging.

OP
K

kevinlevrone

There is no improvement with Update 1 or today's release of the new driver with respect to bluetooth interference and wifi speeds. These speed tests are identical to ones that I took earlier before the updates and posted to another thread.

For sure there is a huge improvement, only not for the issue you are testing. This thread is about a different issue.

The improvement comes in the case when if you were connecting a bandwidth-consuming device, like a Bluetooth speaker or headphones, the Wi-Fi speeds dropped not in half, but almost to the point where the Wi-Fi speed was unusable (like 20KB/s). After the Update 1, the speeds probably "only" drop in half, which is what you are seeing.

CrippsCorner

Okay well it seems that it wasn't a complete waste me buying the AirPort Express then! Seeing as though it gives me slightly better performance rather than using 2.4GHz anyway... at least they're recognising the issue and hopefully Surface Pro 3 will have some new hardware.