What's new

Windows 8.1 update cut my wifi speed in half :-(

mitchellvii

Well this sucks.

Throughout my house I typically get 55 to 60 mbps download speeds on my wifi network. Up until I did the Windows 8.1 update my SP was getting 55 to 60 as well. Now after the update I am getting 18 to 25 :-(

Every other PC in the house is still getting 55 to 60. If I plug a D-Link USB wifi adapter unto my SP I get 55 to 60 again so it is definitely the Marvell Adapter that is messed up.

So, the Windows 8.1 update somehow murdered my Marvell (POS) Adapter. I tried uninstalling it and flashed the latest release from Marvell themselves. A little better but still terrible.

Any ideas?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Ok, this is bizarre. This morning (after changing nothing), my WiFi speed on my SP is just fine. Not a full 55-60 but around 50. Have no idea what fixed this other than - who knows?

pallentx

Could you be getting interference? Maybe your speeds have been up and down before, but you only tested when they happened to be good? You could try changing the channel on your router. You might have a neighbor that put up a router that's causing issues, or your microwave, or who knows what else...

ARosch

What ISP do you use? I am lucky to get 5 with Comcast High Speed which is the best option where I live.

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Could you be getting interference? Maybe your speeds have been up and down before, but you only tested when they happened to be good? You could try changing the channel on your router. You might have a neighbor that put up a router that's causing issues, or your microwave, or who knows what else...

No it's definitely something to do with the Marvell Adapter. If I plug in my D-Link USB Adapter I get 55-60 right away. Since this was not a problem before the 8.1 final update and I am using Marvell's latest drivers I can only guess Windows is doing something which is causing this intermittent behavior.