What's new

Windows 8.1 will include boot to desktop option to bypass 'Metro' interface

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
windows_81v2-590x327.jpg

Microsoft is planning to change the way its Start Screen operates with the release of Windows 8.1. Sources familiar with Microsoft's plans have revealed to The Verge that the company is currently testing builds of Windows 8.1, known as codename Windows Blue, that include an option to boot directly to the traditional desktop. We're told that the option is disabled by default, allowing users to simply turn on the functionality should they want to avoid the "Metro" Start Screen at initial boot or login.

We understand that the hot corner functionality, for access to the Charms and Start Screen, will remain intact if the boot to desktop option is enabled. References to a "CanSuppressStartScreen" option in early builds of the Windows 8.1 registry were recently discovered by members of the My Digital Life forum, but a UI to enable the feature doesn't appear to be present.

Continue Reading @: Windows 8.1 will include boot to desktop option to bypass 'Metro' interface | The Verge

Russ

That's really gonna disappoint the guys at Stardock -- and a few other places -- but it's a smart move.

Regards,
Russ

compnovo

That's really gonna disappoint the guys at Stardock -- and a few other places -- but it's a smart move.

Regards,
Russ

Russ, I haven't seen anything yet about 8.1 bringing back the Start button, a major selling feature for Start8. If that is truly the case I think Stardock will still have its fair share of customers.

ArnoldC

I hate that search bar now litters the latest 9369 build. The idea of centralized seach via Charms is the right thing to do.

We saw this in the updated Mail app for the current Windows release, now on some other apps on the 9369 build. Hate it. There must be too many "lazy or old" (as one poster in another forum puts it) people out there.

Russ

Hey, Folks --

Can we be serious here? This is not about a religion, or whether I eat pork or have multiple wives. An OS is, or should be, about saleability, functionality and cost. The pre-RTM versions allowed a simple regedit to restore the Start button. Microsoft removed it. Maybe they were right; I dunno. I think they were wrong, so I spent my five bucks to put it back. It's called a free market. If MS wants to put it back, that just means that somebody there is not afraid to say, "Oooops!"

If they put it back, and if it's an option, then don't f'in' use it if you don't like it! As Kip Attaway says in his wonderful song, "Pissin' In The Wind," " . . . it's a choice you're makin'."

For those of you who are not subscribers to my investment newsletter, I recommend you buy stock in Depends.

Y'all take care, y'heah,

Russ

ArnoldC

Early last year somebody asked in this forum if he can use Windows 8 in Kiosk-type implementation. Microsoft is making it a reality for him.

TeknoBlast

I hate it when companies have to accomdate to the lazy and weak. MS should stand their ground and keep the OS the way it is and people should learn to embrace something new and different. <Whiny person> "I've been using the Start button for years, it should be kept." WHA WHA WHA. Stop whining and adapt.

RMansfield

All this information is just based on some early builds of 8.1 right? Until Microsoft weighs in, it seems to me that any discussion of a return of the Start button or booting straight to the desktop is only conjecture.