What's new

Windows 8.2... What Do You Want!?

CrippsCorner

Done a thread on hardware, so why not one on software :) I guess this is more related to little changes rather than big ones which would probably be Windows 9. I've not thought about this too much, but the thing that popped into my mind the other day would be truly animated Live Tiles or Modern UI wallpapers. What I mean is if you were looking at a large weather tile, the grass would be constantly flowing like a gif to show you it's windy. This maybe pointless, but I think it could look great. I couldn't find a great gif of that as an example, but you could do it with rain as well of course...

tumblr_m7wv1c4v251qjt4k8o4_400.gif

I want to see an official Clock Live Tile as well.

oion

Let me properly CLOSE an app with a single swipe like we could in 8.0. At least give me the option. I did the registry tweak to make the whole process faster, but we shouldn't have to do that.

Then I'm sure others would like pure contextual searching back.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
There is a reason they implemented the "WAIT" for closing Windows MUI Apps, in theory they don't need to be closed as when they are off screen they enter a suspended state but the next time you open it, it opens almost instantly. That is the theory behind, Windows Manages the RAM usage of the Suspended App and releases it as needed.

oion

There is a reason they implemented the "WAIT" for closing Windows MUI Apps, in theory they don't need to be closed as when they are off screen they enter a suspended state but the next time you open it, it opens almost instantly. That is the theory behind, Windows Manages the RAM usage of the Suspended App and releases it as needed.

Alright, I knew the usability reason for using the suspension trick, but I wasn't really convinced the apps were properly releasing RAM upon simple swipe. Did some more testing...

So there's a period of time between the swipe-down suspension and then the app properly releasing RAM--a minute or two, perhaps--because when I did some testing like with an app game, it was still using 200MB of memory. That's not acceptable to me (as a matter of OCD "things must work as they should," not necessarily because I need that 200MB RAM right away), hence the force-close. But apparently if I had waited longer, it would fall down to less than 1MB RAM usage. Maybe someone can find the registry tweak to make that RAM suspension release faster instead. :p I'll still keep the real-close registry tweak, though.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It stays at 200MB (or Whatever RAM it was using) because it pauses believing you'll swipe back into the Game or App.

oion

It stays at 200MB (or Whatever RAM it was using) because it pauses believing you'll swipe back into the Game or App.

That shouldn't be necessary because directional swiping (top to bottom or left to right) is a very conscious action...

oion

as a matter of OCD "things must work as they should,"

But, of course, 'as they should' is a matter of opinion.

I'm comparing to 8.0 versus 8.1 for that action. I don't remember Microsoft explicitly telling people that the "close" swipe functionality was changed, but if people have always expected an action to properly close something, that's not a subjective assessment.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
MS didn't explicitly tell us how to close an App in Windows 8 initially, wanting Apps to be suspended, but it was ultimately provided so they trained the user to swipe down to close in Windows 8/RT so now, with the change in 8.1/RT MS gets the desired result of Apps suspending.

oion

MS didn't explicitly tell us how to close an App in Windows 8 initially, wanting Apps to be suspended, but it was ultimately provided so they trained the user to swipe down to close in Windows 8/RT so now, with the change in 8.1/RT MS gets the desired result of Apps suspending.

Change sucks! :p