What's new

Windows 8 Autocorect vs. Windows Phone Autocorrect

Binson

Hi Everyone, I'm a new member here. I just got my Surface RT 64GB yesterday and I'm ecstatic.

The one thing I seem to have a problem with is Autocorrect. I have been scouring the web for whether or not I can have the same autocorrecting system I have on my Windows Phone run on my Surface.

It feels like the small mistakes I make on the touch cover would be easily rectified this way and that the onscreen keyboard would allow me to type as blazingly fast on my Surface as I would on my phone (I am super fast on my phone because of the autocorrect).

While there is autocorrect, it seems quite limited in comparison to the other offerings by Microsoft. Is there a way for me to enable the kind of Autocorrect I want? I swear I have looked all over the internet and it appears as if I am in the minority here in wanting this.

Furthermore, on the onscreen keyboard, there is sometimes a mysterious key (well, mysterious to me). The key is a big square dot usually located near the space bar. Once pressed, it becomes somewhat like a cartoony square sun, with lines protruding outward from the square. When pressed again, the lines go away and the key is lit up until pressed again. If anyone could explain what that is to me, I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks!

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
First of all: Welcome to this forum :)

Yes the autocorrect isn't as helpful as on WindowsPhone, and it seems, as there is no other option then on or off.

bosamar

Furthermore, on the onscreen keyboard, there is sometimes a mysterious key (well, mysterious to me). The key is a big square dot usually located near the space bar. Once pressed, it becomes somewhat like a cartoony square sun, with lines protruding outward from the square. When pressed again, the lines go away and the key is lit up until pressed again. If anyone could explain what that is to me, I would deeply appreciate it. Thanks!
It used to be a mystery to me too but the good folks here figured it out. You are referring to the PIN keyboard. The square allows you to select two options, 1) with light, 2) without light.... so people cannot see your keystrokes if it is off.

OP
B

Binson

It used to be a mystery to me too but the good folks here figured it out. You are referring to the PIN keyboard. The square allows you to select two options, 1) with light, 2) without light.... so people cannot see your keystrokes if it is off.

Ahh, I see. That's what it is. Thanks!

-----
Thanks for the welcome :)

It's too bad the Windows Phone Autocorrect is not available here. Does anybody else think it would be a good addition to Windows 8 given the plethora of touch-enable devices? I don't quite get why this function is not as clamored for as I think it should be.

Thanks again for the help!

- Binson

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum. This topic has been covered in another thread. There are pros and cons and people will prefer it either way but the behavior is what is expected for keyboard typists. The auto correct you are thinking of was designed for phones with small hard to type on keyboards. This would be unexpected behavior for just about every PC made and Windows 8 is really a PC OS (this is a good thing for most) even it if is put on tablet shaped devices. Ideally as people's habits and expectations change there would be an option to choose but for now it would probably throw more people off than it would help.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/3760-few-touch-cover-questions.html

OP
B

Binson

Welcome to the forum. This topic has been covered in another thread. There are pros and cons and people will prefer it either way but the behavior is what is expected for keyboard typists. The auto correct you are thinking of was designed for phones with small hard to type on keyboards. This would be unexpected behavior for just about every PC made and Windows 8 is really a PC OS (this is a good thing for most) even it if is put on tablet shaped devices. Ideally as people's habits and expectations change there would be an option to choose but for now it would probably throw more people off than it would help.

http://www.surfaceforums.net/forum/microsoft-surface-pro/3760-few-touch-cover-questions.html

Thanks!

However, I don't think that topic is nearly as specific as mine. It talks about the cursors and other things. In addition, your answers to the topic were more hardware related whereas my topic is more software related.

You are right. "People will prefer it either way." When paired with a traditional keyboard, I don't find that there is a need for the autocorrect. But on the other side of the tracks, people using the on-screen keyboard on tablet or slate devices would probably benefit from the advanced autocorrect system from Windows Phone. Seeing as Windows 8 was designed with these mobile touch enabled devices in mind, I think it would be great to have the option for mobile level autocorrect.

It shouldn't be that confusing. My suggestion would be just to add another choice for autocorrect in the current button for the different onscreen layouts. That can easily be changed on the go depending on your current needs. I'm not saying it should be the default, just an option to better fit the various configurations of devices they now have available in the market. In this case, "normal pc" users would not even be affected.

What do you think?

- Binson

J515OP

Super Moderator
It isn't a hardware issue, it is all software regarding auto correct. I agree a choice would be optimal but that isn't the way it is. Are you aware that there are actually several ways MS handles the auto correct and it varies between desktop and Modern UI? For example in Modern UI as you use the on screen keyboard an "Insert" button appears in the lower right portion of the screen where the <> normally are and offers words it thinks your are typing. Hit the insert button and the word auto completes. In some cases it does substitute misspelled words or capitalize things like "i" for you automatically when hitting the space bar (this happens in desktop as the default rather than insert). Additionally you can touch misspelled words and it offers you correct options. I guess this is the way MS sees tablet sized auto correct working. I guess under this scenario you type everything then look back at it and touch the words to correct.

The best way to see the differences are to switch been something like One Note in desktop and Modern UI. Then intentionally make some errors and type some humongous words giving the option to insert in Modern UI or seeing how it just underlines a misspelling in desktop.

thirst

My auto correct doesn't seem to work in desktop mode. It works much better in Modern mode - is this normal? I hate that when I am using Google Talk on desktop, it doesn't correct my typos.

J515OP

Super Moderator
My auto correct doesn't seem to work in desktop mode. It works much better in Modern mode - is this normal? I hate that when I am using Google Talk on desktop, it doesn't correct my typos.

Yes see responses above.