What's new

Windows 8 lifts Microsoft's profit 19%

Arizona Willie

That fruit company pays / gives the tech writers equipment and sometimes cash to write negative articles about anything Microsoft and to write puff pieces for any fruit company products.
They get computers and phones to " TEST " and then they keep them.

Russ

Nice! So much for the dire predictions, particularly on ZD Net!!!!

KristalSoldier --

So much for the doom and gloom, huh? I had seen that news earlier in the financial news, and was doubly pleased by it: Not only am I a dedicated user of Microsoft products, I am also a shareholder. That's what is known as a "two'fer." :)

Take care,
Russ

J515OP

Super Moderator

The technological world has changed. MS said it was betting big with Windows 8 and it looks like it is paying off. Not acknowledging the shift would have led to big trouble for MS 3, 4 or 5 years from now. By going in the Windows 8 direction (PC/tablet compatibility with touch emphasis) MS is at least going to remain flat (instead of tanking with the PC industry) even if tablet sales replace PC sales on a 1 to 1 basis. At the moment things are even brighter than that since it looks like MS might do better a 1 to 1 trade off of tablets for PCs.

tonyz3

This is just the first leg of a very long race. I think once they tiddy up some more metro apps and start adding some more form factors like the 7-8 inch at better price points they will really start to take off. I use my surface all day and most every evening, but a few weeks ago i had to take my 5 yr olds Nexus 7 away( dont ask why) but it was a while since i held that size tablet- pulled up some of my old apps Flipboard, games etc. and decided i wanted to have another option- I think another thread mentioned Tennis elbow- so the next day went out and grabbed the note 8.0 on launch day. I will only buy tablets with Dig pen going forward. I felt it was worth the price tag and i think MS needs to be part of this size category for those families who J5150 mentioned has a tablet for each person. Not to mention alot of people have two. I have the pro and note 8.0, my wife RT and nook, my son nexus 7, and soon my 3.5 yr old will have one..... Oh yeah and we have an older HP all in one which flyies now with Win 8 but still collecting dust in the other room..... Oh crap i forgot the point of all this.....:sorry:

Afy

I believe actually releasing a tablet OS has something to do with their increase in the tablet marketshare... Lol

Inadorel

I was really really pleased to hear the news about increased profits and that Windows tablets are taking off now. Plus the Pro finally coming to UK. I've been getting very sick of all the MS/Windows 8 bashing from the tech press - so good to get several pieces of news in quick succession :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
I believe actually releasing a tablet OS has something to do with their increase in the tablet marketshare... Lol

Strictly speaking Windows 8 is not a tablet OS. Windows RT is technically a tablet OS but those sales numbers seem to be based on all Win 8/RT tablet sales not just RT sales. I think this is exactly the point we are getting at regarding Windows 8/RT. No longer is Windows just restrained to the shrinking PC market :)