What's new

Windows 8 Phones Impressions: Who here has one?

cereal killer

Hey everyone, I'd love to have you all join us on our WP Forum and get some discussions going. I don't own a WP as of yet (still on contract) but my next handset will be one. I'm on VZW and really wished the Lumia 920 was dropping on it, that would have been an easy decision to pay full retail for it. So unless a WP8 handset that blows me away comes along I'm going to ride out my contract and wait.

Windows Phone Forum

popartist

I received an 8X on Monday. I had been using what is pretty much its Android equivalent, the One S. Anyway, the transition from Android to WP8 has not been as jarring as I'd been envisioning - pretty smooth actually. It has been running smooth as silk, I mean really smooth and pretty much perfectly out of the box. I really like the look of this OS, and the included functionality eliminates the need for a lot of the apps you'd have to install in Android. The People app rules, and I love the lockscreen more than Androids. Haven't really been finding a lack of apps for what I want to do, except that I will miss the Time Warner TV one. That's really the only one though. Oh, and still looking for a satisfactory way to upload to Youtube and do live streaming (like Ustream), but I need those so rarely, I can live without it for now. It just seems more effortless, but in an advanced way, than Android. The only thing the jury is still out on is the camera - so far the regular camera on the 8X is not seeming as good as the One S, but I still need to put it through its paces some more. It does have a fantastic front facing camera though.

bosamar

I own a HTC HD7S which came out in May 2011. It updated to 7.5 Mango a year ago and no more updates since. IMO that's where the entire eco system lacks. Rumor is we will get the 7.8 update (3 tile sizes) but by that time I'm moving to WP8 in March 2013.

ArnoldC

I own an HTC Mozart on WP 7.5 but it was snatched months ago. I am now looking forward to an HTC 8s as a replacement.

ArnoldC

Alright, I got my HTC Windows Phone 8S earlier, officially the first paid customer to own this phone. I'm using it right now tethered to my Surface RT to post this message.

David321

I think that as compared to lumia and Nexus . . . . . Htc is simply much better . . . . . I m not a big fan of HTC . . . . . . . . . but most of my friends who used it, simply just liked it because of the user friendly features . . . so you should probably go with HTC

Business Marketing

Last edited:

Sin

HTC is not bad, but have not really done anything to standout either. Years back you could be fairly confident that HTC would have one of the best phone out. That has not been the case lately. I like my HTC Titan, but still running Windows Phone 7.5 and with Microsoft breaking their mobile platform for the second time in a few years, I'm holding off as long as I can. That said I am impressed with the Nokia Lumia 920. I'm not a fan of the polycarbonate unibody, but the internal hardware is impressive. It's nice to see a manufacturer working to innovate and Nokia has definitely been pushing the camera technology.

Chubnut

I've got the HTC 8X which I've had for about a month and a half. Before that I had the HD7 from release so pretty used to the UI.

It's a great phone and it was hard to choose between 8X and the Nokia 920. However, to begin with I was really disappointed with the battery life on the 8X. For the first 4 or 5 days it would barely last half a day, but now it can go almost 2 days on 1 charge and that's with making calls, texts, browsing web and tethering the RT to it.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

bulls96

I really wish the surface could had the Bluetooth messaging protocol where I can receive and send messages with the surface by pairing them to the phone, ala Tablet Talk apps on Android, and messaging on the HP Touchpad and webos phones.

gpstrucker

Being on VZW I am currently trying to decide between the HTC 8X and the Nokia 822. I am leaning towards the 822 because of the micro-SD card slot but am still pretty much on the fence.

bulls96

You might want to wait for the Lumina 920 Verizon version. Its coming based non the blogs.

magicrobots

I've got a 920 and I have a buddy who has an 8x on VZW. I LOVE the form factor of the 8x; it is vastly superior IMO. If I didn't care about the camera on the 920 I would be all over the 8x. But I find a ton of value in the kick ass camera on the back of the 920.

The Nokia specific apps are pretty sick, but I wouldn't say they are deal breakers - I think I'd get more joy out of the slim form factor of the 8x than that stuff.