What's new

Windows 8 Phones Impressions: Who here has one?

archapacman

I need to know which of these phones to get:

Nokia Lumia 810 (They do not offer 920 on my carrier :_( )
HTC 8X
Nexus 4 (4.2 Android)

Also, for those who own the Nokia, is the GPS data assisted or pure GPS?

TeknoBlast

I just picked up an Lumia 810 from TMobile. Before eyeing the 810, I was set to get the HTC 8X since I'm a HTC fan, but when I saw both both next to each other, I decided on the 810. My reasons for the 810 are as follows:

*Wider form
*expandable memory (I read up to 32GB, others 64GB)
*I like the square form instead of it being tapered.
*matted back

Now that I've owned the 810 over a week now, I love it. It's a great phone and runs fantastic. As of any issues, none at all.

pwaggs

I have a Lumia 920 and I love it.

My issues thus far:
Podcasts (Seems to be a WP8 and W8 problem)
PDF's (I might be the only one not smart enough to figure this out yet)
Battery life (I think that this is an issue that will resolve itself on the first firmware update as the device is not handling all WP7.5 apps efficiently.)

Camac

If this thread still exists when the Lumia 822 I ordered from Verizon arrives, I'll try to share my impressions of the phone. I hope they'll be more positive than the impressions I've had of the online ordering process.

Br1an_g

I am currently using a htc one x but did like the look of the 8x and at only 350 for the handset its a bit of a bargain that I may try out in the next few weeks....not sure it can replace my one x purely from an apps perspective but I am curious to try a windows phone so this thread will be good to follow

bulls96

Is there any way to pair wp8 phones with the surface so you can text thru the tablet?

Android had Tablet Talk app. WebOS did it out of the box.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

OP
A

archapacman

Skype should be able to send messages for free. Google Voice and iPhone iMessage can now do that, but windows phone still couldn't.

I am wondering, have any of you guys found a way to send messages without using a text messaging plan on a windows phone?

TeknoBlast

Skype should be able to send messages for free. Google Voice and iPhone iMessage can now do that, but windows phone still couldn't.

I am wondering, have any of you guys found a way to send messages without using a text messaging plan on a windows phone?

I use an app called GROUPME. It works really well and all it uses is your phone number. You can create groups for different purposes and add certain people to those groups. It's on all three formats.

OP
A

archapacman

That is great! I am trying it out on my itouch right now. You sure you don't need a SMS plan to use it right? And that the other line receives it as your phone number?

TeknoBlast

That is great! I am trying it out on my itouch right now. You sure you don't need a SMS plan to use it right? And that the other line receives it as your phone number?

The way it works, the app is tied to your phone number. All you need is the data plan. I know because I've used it on my iPod Touch.

When you start a group and invite people, your friends/family will receive a text message inviting them to install the GroupMe app. Now, they don’t have to install the app, they can just reply to the number that they received the text from.

However, it’s better with the app since you can see the texts in a bubble sequence timeline.

So all they have to do is install the app and register their number just like the inviter did. After that, they will see the group you created and any messages that have been sent within that group.

It’s a very simple and useful app. Just so you’d know, GroupMe was purchased by Microsoft, so you know they have the support.

R0bR

I currently have an HD7 on Bell and was ready to jump ship to Rogers to get the Lumia 920 until they announced they were only going to carry black, the last thing I want is another black phone. So I'm going to wait it out and hopefully they will decided to bring in the red one. My wife just replaced her Blackberry with an HTC 8X, it's a really nice phone.