What's new

Windows 8 Pricing Expires Jan 31st.

Russ

As I posted before, the $39.99 price for Windows 8 expires on Jan 31st.

I have several computers that I will likely upgrade later, but not today and not before Jan 31st. So, I logged on to the Windows Store and tried to buy an upgrade. The link said I had to endure a survey of my computer, which, when done, said I could buy Windows 8. I did that, and it told me it would take several hours for the download. (I'm back here in the woods, on a slow DSL connection.) I called the Store and spoke to a very nice young lady, somewhere in the world, and explained to her that I could not endure a long download, since I am in thunderstorm country and my DSL is intermittent, and, since I needed 5 upgrades, couldn't I just buy the 5 keys and do my upgrades later. After several consultations with her advisors, while I was on hold, she assured me that the only way to get the upgrade was to endure the download.

So, I went through the purchase process and started the download. The first thing it did was to give me the Product Key. "Aha!," says I, "that was all I wanted." So, I saved the Product Key and disconnected. Microsoft thoughtfully sent me an email confirming the purchase. I was in my shop, and had some shop stuff to do, so I did it four more times:
* Click the Buy button,
* Let it survey my computer,
* Complete the purchase,
* Save the product key, and
* Terminate the process.

Yeah, I know, it seems silly, and I hope Steve Ballmer feels silly, too, but I got the product keys I wanted, and didn't have to endure the absurd download process.

Regards,
Russ

J515OP

Super Moderator
It gets worse than that. I ran into similar issues where you have to let MS scan your computer to see it it is compatible. You can't for example download from a Win 95 machine from your parents house while on vacation to take the Win 8 home on a usb or DVD for installation on your Win7 machine. So essentially there is only "I'm a dummy mode and you need to tell me I'm ok" and no pro mode that says let me just download the image and key. The only option if you don't have a computer certified as valid by the scan is to pay the extra $15 to have them mail you the DVD (which then also scans your PC for compatibility).

By the same token if you have a 32bit system you can't get the 64bit download because the scanner will only recognize what you have. To do an upgrade you need to buy the DVD option. I also went through multiple layers of support and they basically said you have to take or leave what the compatibility program tells you you need. Not very good options for a large portion of their user base that are power users.

JP

bosamar

My main desktop (#1) is hardwired to our FiOS service (fast). My other desktop (#2) has a USB WiFi adapter (slow). I wanted Win8Pro on #2 so I login with it, got the Product key, and Microsoft sent me an email with a link to the download. I went back to #1, downloaded it to a USB stick and then installed it on #2. That was my solution. :D

OP
Russ

Russ

. . . no pro mode that says let me just download the image and key.

JP --

That was the absurdity that I tried to explain to the sweet young lady from another country: I don't need the install program. I already have it (from Technet since Win8 went RTM.) All I needed was the Product Key. I don't blame her; she was trapped in the system. I suppose the "system" makes sense to somebody, but not to me.

Take care,
Russ

OP
Russ

Russ

. . . hardwired to our FiOS service (fast).

Bosamar --

From back here in the woods, I hate you. (Probably that won't ruin your day.) I am too far from the switch for anything faster than 3Meg DSL service, and the cable companies don't come down here.

As I explained to JP above, all I ever wanted was the Product Key. The Product Key doesn't care whether it's 32 or 64 bit, and I already have the install program. I managed to get what I wanted, but the process was a bit cumbersome.

Take care,
Russ

Omni

I have upgraded 3 of my computers to 8 pro via the Microsoft website. I got as far as the key and stopped the process there each time. Used a windows 8 pro DVD I already had and formatted and installed windows 8 pro as a fresh copy. Easy and clean unlike using that horrible wizard.

compnovo

I upgraded my 32-bit media center PC this weekend, and couldn't use the disc I already had for my desktop because it's 64-bit. Fortunately I'm on 26meg cable so it didn't take long, and now I have an install disc for both.

I wasn't going to upgrade the media center because my wife uses it too and she isn't into learning curves even though she's more of a geek than I am (she used to do a lot of programming), but I just couldn't pass up the discount. My workaround was to install Start8 and set it to boot to the Desktop UI, then set Win8 to autoplay DVDs and Blurays (the only thing she uses it for). Everybody's happy.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Welcome to the forum Greahme. There is certainly a learning curve to Windows 8 but once you get used to the Start screen, new keyboard shortcuts (lots of them use the Windows key) and hot corners it really is very similar to Windows 7.

DC-IT

I was able to buy 4 licenses of Win 8 Pro @ $14.99 each.
Between Oct~Jan I set up around 10 computers with Windows 7 and the users did not want to upgrade to Win 8 as they didn't like the new interface.
So with their permissions I was able to get Win 8 at the special upgrade promo pricing.

So far I've installed Win 8 on two existing home PCs and will keep the other two licenses for when I custom build new PCs in the next couple of months.
It would be nice if touch screen LED monitors are available so we can make full use of the Win 8 capabilities.

ArnoldC

<snip>
It would be nice if touch screen LED monitors are available so we can make full use of the Win 8 capabilities.

Acer is offering monitors you can connect to legacy hardware and will provide touch interface instantly. :)

DC-IT

Hmmm unfortunately I can't find any available here in Toronto, Canada!
Perhaps in a few months touch screen display will be available as Win 8 gains in popularity.

I am using a 27" Samsung LED on my Win 8 PC and the weird thing is if I connect using HDMI the display is not as sharp/crisp as if I use analog connection.