What's new

window's button

Sassi

Hi,
So I got my Surface Pro 3 replacement today and so far the tingling on the back of it has gone, but it was intermittent on the last one so we'll have to see. There's no yellow band - yay. There is a bit more light bleed - boo but it only really shows up on the boot screen.

But... my old SP3 had the windows button buzz when you use it, this one doesn't. It works fine, you just don't get the feedback. I saw a post just before returning mine from someone who had a replacement from a new lot number and they said the same thing. Have they removed the feedback or do I have another dud? To be honest, as long as the button works I don't need it to buzz and so far it works perfectly, but I was wondering if they removed the buzz or if it was a defect. Out of curiosity I tried one at a local retailer and that didn't buzz either.

Edit: hmm further investigation it does seem to be buzzing a little now, it's just a lot less intense than my last one and has to be pressed in a specific point to get the feedback, otherwise it works but without feedback.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
To buzz, or not to buzz- that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the
slings and arrows of outrageous fortune
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them. :rolleyes:

Liam2349

I think the haptic feedback should be working. Check for updates a couple of times. If it's still not working, and you want it to, then I think your best bet is to call Surface support.

Zog1971

Hi,
So I got my Surface Pro 3 replacement today and so far the tingling on the back of it has gone, but it was intermittent on the last one so we'll have to see. There's no yellow band - yay. There is a bit more light bleed - boo but it only really shows up on the boot screen.

But... my old SP3 had the windows button buzz when you use it, this one doesn't. It works fine, you just don't get the feedback. I saw a post just before returning mine from someone who had a replacement from a new lot number and they said the same thing. Have they removed the feedback or do I have another dud? To be honest, as long as the button works I don't need it to buzz and so far it works perfectly, but I was wondering if they removed the buzz or if it was a defect. Out of curiosity I tried one at a local retailer and that didn't buzz either.

Edit: hmm further investigation it does seem to be buzzing a little now, it's just a lot less intense than my last one and has to be pressed in a specific point to get the feedback, otherwise it works but without feedback.
Not to be creepy, but I have been wondering about you. :) I have been curious if a replacement fixed the tingling issue you had with your other unit. In your edit, you say it is buzzing a little--you mean your getting a bit of feedback on the button, not that your feeling the tingling of the electric issue you had, right? Please keep us posted about the electric issue since I know you were being advised a couple of directions.

In regards to the Windows button, I don't believe they have disabled anything. I know that I sometimes won't feel the feedback depending on how I'm holding the device, and when I do feel the feedback it is pretty faint. I have actually disabled the button in the device manager, which prevents anything from popping up if touched, but oddly does not disable the feedback if touched. If the other problems have been fixed and it does not matter to you, then I would probably not fret it, but if it bugs you I would go ahead and chat with MS support about it.

Grumpy2

Welcome back Sassi (not Kotter). Welcome back. Like zog1971 I also have been wondering about you. Out of curiosity what is the lot no. Of your replacement unit? I have lot 1433 (same as your original ) and I also have light bleed (which is getting worse) but is only noticeable on the boot up screen so I am not bothered about it. Like you I also live in the land Down Under.

phositadc

I have to say, as much as I love the sp3, I'm really disappointed that the quality control is so inconsistent. I know lots of people on this board are happy, largely even including myself, but how is it that ms can't even get something like the Windows button consistent. It should either vibrate or not. It shouldn't vibrate on some, but not on others; or strongly on some but weakly on others.

Combine with the WiFi, yellow band, and light bleed issues, I have to say I'm disappointed with Microsoft's quality control.

Full disclosure: I'm on my 4th sp3 after having defective battery on the first, several dead pixels and severe yellow band on the 2nd, and a defective fan (buzzed like a chainsaw) on the 3rd. And no, I'm not a serial returner. I had never returned a laptop until sp3.

Last edited:

kundas1

yea it boggles my mind that someone as big as MS can have so many QC issues! I'm so thankful mine has been perfect thus far...

OP
Sassi

Sassi

Hi,
thank you all for your replies and for wondering about me :) The windows button does buzz a little but I have to touch it on the left half of the button, in the middle or the right and it doesn't buzz but still works. It's also very faint my last one was quite loud and obvious.

@Grumpy2 I don't know the lot number as it was returned in a plain brown box, but so far it seems a lot better than the last one but I've only charged it once so far so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. The light bleed is pretty bad in the top right corner and in a couple of places down the left side but I only see it on boot up so it's not really an issue.

Zog1971

Hi,
thank you all for your replies and for wondering about me :) The windows button does buzz a little but I have to touch it on the left half of the button, in the middle or the right and it doesn't buzz but still works. It's also very faint my last one was quite loud and obvious.

@Grumpy2 I don't know the lot number as it was returned in a plain brown box, but so far it seems a lot better than the last one but I've only charged it once so far so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. The light bleed is pretty bad in the top right corner and in a couple of places down the left side but I only see it on boot up so it's not really an issue.
And, the tingling/electric issue? Have you had any of that?

DeltaXray

Welcome back :) It was only yesterday I was wondering how your replacement was going.

Did you get a new or refurb unit? What is the quality of the replacement like?

Also would be interested to hear if you still get the tingling on the back when plugged into the same electrical socket as before.

Last edited:
OP
Sassi

Sassi

So far no tingling but I have only charged it once so far, I haven't used it much as I've been really busy. I believe it was a refurb as it was in a plain cardboard box. The quality is good, it feels no different to a new one. No yellow line, no tingling yet, it gets a bit warmer than my old one, but not Marjory and there's some light bleed only visible at startup.

Hopefully this one is good :)