What's new

Solved "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter"

Hi all,

I've been running the Windows 10 Technical Preview (9926) on my Surface Pro 3 successfully since January. Unfortunately, I lost all internet connectivity today.

The problem started when I noticed the type cover wasn't working (pressing keys on the type cover wasn't registering any typing on my screen) and my USB mouse wasn't working either. I tried removing and reattaching the type keyboard but this didn't fix the issue. I had to use the accessibility on-screen keyboard to sign into Windows (thankfully touch was still working). Once I signed in, I still didn't have typing or cursor ability, so I decided to restart the computer.

Then it got worse. I noticed the Surface Pro 3 was stuck on "restarting" and wouldn't actually restart. Since it wasn't responding, I held down the power button for about 10 seconds until it turned off. When I turned it back on, the type cover and mouse started working again.

Unfortunately, this is when the WIFI problems began. I had WIFI for a few seconds, and then I lost internet. I disconnected/reconnected but there was a yellow triangle telling me there was some sort of problem. So I restarted the Surface Pro 3.

When it came back on, there were suddenly NO connections available at all. Opening the "Network & Internet" settings page gave me the message "Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter". And here I am, without internet on my Surface Pro 3, borrowing my friend's computer so I can type this message (he is also running Windows 10 build 9926 on his laptop and is able to connect to my WIFI with no problems, whereas my Surface Pro 3 cannot even detect any networks). I have not dropped or damaged the SP3 in any way, and there have been no storms or power outages or anything of that sort. Any ideas what could have happened to the WIFI on my Surface Pro 3?

Thanks for your help...
Ethan

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Ethan,

Start Device Manager and remove your network adapter, then restart your SP3. That should allow Windows to re-discover and install.

OP
E

EthanDavis

Sharpcolorado, thanks for your reply. This is not good; I'm not finding Network Adapters in Device Manager...

screenshot.jpg

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Your Surface Pro 3 may have fried its NA. Lets hope not.
Try searching for new devices (Action, Scan for hardware changes)

OP
E

EthanDavis

Just wanted to give a little update. When I go into Network & Internet, then click "show available connections", it says "no connections are available" (this is old news). But when I click Troubleshoot, I get the following message:

"Install a driver for your network adapter"

"Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter. If you have a network adapter, you will need to re-install the driver."

screenshot 2.jpg

When I click next, it says

"Troubleshooting has completed
Problems Found:
Windows could not find a driver for your network adapter"

screenshot 3.jpg

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Last edited:
OP
E

EthanDavis

Hi Sharpcolorado, thanks for your reply!

I managed to download the "Windows 8 Installer" to another computer, transfer it to a USB drive and to my Surface Pro 3, and run the setup file. After it finished installing successfully, I restarted my computer. When it came back on, it appeared as though it was a success. Suddenly three wifi networks popped up and I was able to connect to the official school internet.

After approximately 5-10 seconds however, I lost internet. I went back to my Network & Internet page in settings and it said there were no connections available (same problem as before). I waited a few seconds, and then all three or four networks came back suddenly. I tried connecting to the Michigan State University wifi again, and it worked for long enough for my mail app to tell me I had new emails, and after about 2-3 seconds it was gone again. This process repeated probably one more time.

After experiencing internet for a few seconds followed by losing all connectivity, I decided to restart the computer. This may have been a mistake, as it caused the original problem (the problem which appeared to precede the WIFI problems) to happen again: the Surface Pro 3 was stuck on "restarting..." forever and would not actually restart. After waiting on the "restarting..." screen for several minutes (what usually happens instantly), I decided I needed to hold down the power button again. I held it down for about 10 seconds until the SP3 powered down.

After powering the SP3 back on, it is unable to locate any networks nearby. My friend is still connected to the MSU wifi on his Windows 10 laptop with no problems. I tried running the Marvell installer again, and it didn't help. Even after reinstalling it and restarting the computer, the SP3 is unable to locate any networks. It says "No connections are available" again, unfortunately...

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Remove that Network Adapter again, and power off. Keep it off for at least 20 minutes.
Then try again.

I am suspecting failure due to heat, based upon working after some downtime, then failing after some uptime.

But we will see.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a hardware problem; I guess I would be more sure of that IF you weren't running a beta OS.

You're nearly there (replacement) anyway but you might try reverting to 8.1 if you still have the issue it would seem to confirm your Network Adapter is toast.

If your in desperate need (hmm, some how he's posting these messages, must have a backup computer) a USB adapter may get you online.

OP
E

EthanDavis

It's working!

Hi everyone, I wanted to give an update. This morning I turned on the Surface and no networks were available. I ran the troubleshooter again, and it didn't help. This time, the troubleshooter couldn't figure out what the problem was (different response from usual).

I was planning to drive to the Microsoft Store to get help. But as a last resort, I decided to check the Device Manager again. (Remember, previously when I checked the device manager, there was no entry for "Network Adapters" -- see my previous picture.) This time, however, "Network Adapters" was on the list! This was a big surprise. It had a yellow triangle over it, so I right clicked it and chose "Update Driver Software". This time, it gave me a list of two identical Marvell drivers to choose from (probably because I ran the installer at least twice yesterday). I chose the second one of them, and after a minute, my Surface Pro 3 was able to locate networks again. I connected to the school WIFI and was back in business. Hurray!

I'm still not sure how all this trouble happened in the first place. (Like I said, it all originally started when my type cover stopped working. I used the touch screen to restart the computer, and it was stuck on "restarting" forever. I had to hold down the power button to power down the Surface Pro 3 until it powered down - was this a mistake? - And when I turned it back on, this is when the WIFI originally disconnected for the first time and I lost all network availability.) Thankfully, with your guys' help, it appears to be working for now, and I hope it continues to work. I wonder what happened... Do you guys think it had anything to do with Windows 10 or any other software issue? And do you think it will be OK from now on, or should I still plan on seeing the Microsoft Store for any reason?

I will keep you guys updated if anything changes, and please let me know what you think. Thanks again, so much, for all of your help!!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
According to Murphy anything that can go wrong will at the most inopportune time. The only way to counteract this law is to predict that which would go wrong, thereby invoking the reversal of the law to prove you wrong.

so ... for your benefit I'm predicting that this flakey hardware problem will be back. :D

Last edited: