What's new

Windows Hello-camera not activating

Eplak

Hi

Sometimes when i wake up my SP4 from sleep, it is unable to activate the Windows Hello-camera. I try to put it back into sleep and wake it again, but still unable to activate it. It ends up with me writing in my PIN instead. Is this something that you have experienced as well?

not sure if its the same, I find it on rare occasions doesn't recognize me and wind up going to the pin. Putting it back to sleep and waking again, unless I'm doing it wrong doesn't resart the camera, its still looking for a pin. Wish there was someway to just restart the camera.

Hi

Sometimes when i wake up my SP4 from sleep, it is unable to activate the Windows Hello-camera. I try to put it back into sleep and wake it again, but still unable to activate it. It ends up with me writing in my PIN instead. Is this something that you have experienced as well?

Jonrobs

Happened to me today, windows says turning on your camera but the red light never turns on and I have to manually login to the tablet with a pin.

Same problem after a reboot also.

Do you see the red light turn on.

OP
E

Eplak

Okay, here are the different scenarios i have experienced:

1) No Windows Hello-camera (red light), AND black screen.
SOLUTION: WIN+P couple of times.
2) Windows Hello-camera is activated, AND black screen
SOLUTION: WIN+P couple of times.
3) No Windows Hello-camera, AND working screen
SOLUTION: Nothing i have tested works. Only option: login with pin or password.​

Jonrobs

So number 3 is what I currently had, thanks for the win+P tip I will try that next time 1 or 2 happen.

The firmware fix released yesterday (2/17/16) made the camera work again.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
After display driver updates, this tends to happen.

Try this:
The next time the Hello camera does not seem to be working, but the red light is on, swipe up with your finger on the screen, or with two fingers on the trackpad. Windows Hello should recognize you.