What's new

Windows Insider build 14257 & infrared camera

wynand32

Is anyone in the Windows Insider program on their SP4 and received yesterday's 14257 build? There's a known issue that says that Intel RealSense cameras are broken in the build, and while I'm 99% sure the SP4 doesn't have RealSense, I'm not 100% sure.

If you updated to 14257 and Windows Hello still works for you, please let me know. Thanks!

OP
wynand32

wynand32

That IS a RealSense (front) camera. That's required for "Hello".

All of my research indicates that it's _not_ an actual Intel RealSense(TM) camera but Microsoft's own infrared camera tech. If I'd get the update already, I could install it and see what happens. I've also asked Surface Support for confirmation.

Here's Anandtech, for example: "Microsoft built their own solution for Windows Hello, rather than go with the Intel RealSense 3D system, so when it gets enabled I’ll take a look at it and report back."

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Microsoft created their own camera as Intel was unable to make the needed components thin enough for the SP4 and SB. Windows Hello is working as expected on this build for me....

OP
wynand32

wynand32

Microsoft created their own camera as Intel was unable to make the needed components thin enough for the SP4 and SB. Windows Hello is working as expected on this build for me....

Perfect, what I expected, just need to confirm. Thanks!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
WARNING:
Be sure to note that in build 14251 and 14257 you cannot "Reset" your computer if you need to recover from severe errors. You must instead re-install Windows 10 completely.