What's new

Windows Phone support retirement announcement

OP
R

repinca

Wow, lots of discussion. I think part of my hesitation is just that it's so hard to be a fervent Microsoft user. It's like every time I see something new, I'm thinking oh god, they're gonna screw it up again. I feel like I'm always getting burned, WP7, Zune, I live my life in fear that they'll throw in the towel on the Surface. My brain says they can't afford to give up, but my heart says I can't take it anymore :). They still haven't made a dent market share wise, so part of me thinks maybe I should make the low risk switch on the phone and wait a couple of years and see if Google makes a tablet that doesn't suck and maybe finally just switch ecosystems. On the other hand I can never envision using the Chrome operating system, so it really never would be a full ecosystem swap. I hate Google and Apple is such overpriced hipster crap...why oh why can't people just get over Microsoft's past reputation...my Windows devices are so pretty and functional!!

machistmo

Wait if what you want is the latest and greatest. If what is out now works for you then get that instead. This is why nobody reveals their future plans, they don't want to lose sales. What about the people who just bought an iPhone 3 before the iPhone 5 came out? What about people who bought Blackberries before they changed to QNX? What about people who bought Nokia Symbian phone before they switched to Windows? It is called the Osborne effect and it is always a consideration.

If you like the phones out now get one now there is always something new around the corner and if that is your concern buy as soon as a new product launches that way when you hit the 18 month refresh cycle you can upgrade to the latest and greatest as soon as it comes out. There are always going to be people going for the new and those that continue to use the old. Look how many people are still using Gingerbread and older versions of Android for example.

View attachment 591
STATS: Android 4.X reaches 39% of all devices | Eurodroid

There were other factors at play as well - Adam Osborne admitted that in the early days, they had no idea what they were doing, and that the company was rapidly skyrocketing out of their control. Subsequent poorly thought-out "executive decisions" also contributed to its demise. Just one year later, in 1984, Adam Osborne and computer industry author and columnist John C. Dvorak coauthored a book about the experience, from Adam Osborne's point of view, of course - Hypergrowth: The Rise and Fall of the Osborne Computer Corporation. In his book, Adam Osborne said that the so-called "Osborne effect" is ficticious, and that he planted that story in the media to explain-away corporate financial losses and poor sales.