What's new

Windows plus 'X' key

Carolv

My Surface Pro 6 will not always bring up the quick display when hitting those keys. If I have a window open, or tap on an empty spot on the desk top it works. However if I open a window by selecting one of the quick links and then hit the 'x' to close out the window, hitting the Windows key plus 'X' does nothing unless I first tap on an empty spot on the desk top.

I have tried to delete the drivers (but did not check the box to delete the software also) but that did not help.

Any ideas?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
… and then hit the 'x' to close out the window, ...

Pressing the "X" or "x" key does not close a window. Alt-F4 does, however. If you are reading the left-side of the "close out" window, the x symbol is merely an icon, not a key hint. So the windows is not actually closed, and because of this, the Windows key+X will have no effect while that "close out" window is displayed.

2019-08-13.png

OP
C

Carolv

Pressing the "X" or "x" key does not close a window. Alt-F4 does, however. If you are reading the left-side of the "close out" window, the x symbol is merely an icon, not a key hint. So the windows is not actually closed, and because of this, the Windows key+X will have no effect while that "close out" window is displayed.

View attachment 9265

Hi sharp user.
I think I may not have explained myself well enough. When I hit the Windows Logo key plus the letter 'X' it does not always open the Quick Access Window showing the Device Manager, Command Prompt, etc. I have to move my mouse around and tap on the desktop, then hit the Windows Logo plus the letter 'X' and it will open the Quick Access. I can continue to hit Windows Logo plus letter 'X' and it will open the Quick Access.

However if I open a window and then close out that window (say by hitting the 'x' in the upper right hand corner, hitting the Windows Logo key plus the letter 'X' does nothing until I tap on an empty space on the desktop.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Okay. This is because Windows+x only applies to Windows, not to individual programs and processes. In other words, it is a system shortcut, not an application shortcut.

Thanks for clarifying. This is normal behavior for Windows 10.

OP
C

Carolv

Okay. This is because Windows+X only applies to Windows, not to individual programs and processes. In other words, it is a system shortcut, not an application shortcut.

Thanks for clarifying. This is normal behavior for Windows 10.

So you're saying that it is normal for hitting the Windows + X to not work all the time to open the Quick Access menu?? It seems like other computers I have or tested it works every time to open the Quick Access menu.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Windows+x should work every time.

Windows+X (which requires Shift) would not. Let's try to get you fixed up.

What version and build of Windows 10 do you have? Settings, System, About …