What's new

Windows RT Online Store?

gjvah

Is there a way to access the RT store from a regular desktop? Like google play, where you can review and purchase apps directly from your desktop and have them sent to your device. I wan't to get a few items, but I don't have my surface with me. I wanna do some research on the specific apps, so I have a list of what to buy when I get home.

TIA

J515OP

Super Moderator
No, this is not possible and frankly something MS needs to fix very quickly. My personal speculation is they don't want people looking at the app store without a device and being disappointed. I don't see another plausible explanation for this apparently huge oversight.

OP
gjvah

gjvah

No, this is not possible and frankly something MS needs to fix very quickly. My personal speculation is they don't want people looking at the app store without a device and being disappointed. I don't see another plausible explanation for this apparently huge oversight.

Ah, so it's not me. Thanks. There must be a way to do it though. Another thing I noticed, is some people are reviewing apps that are not in the app store. Sketchbook for example, they're saying is a must have RT app, and I can't even find it in the store.

Bruce

Quite frankly, I almost didn't buy a Surface because I wasn't able to see what apps were available first. This is not only annoying; it is a hindrance to sales, IMHO.

J515OP

Super Moderator
The closest thing I have been able to find is the Windows Phone App Store (Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)) which gives a good idea of what Windows apps are like but won't really work for what you want to do as far as searching from the web and installing to the Surface. At least you can browse if you are new to Windows and get somewhat of an idea. I am sure MS will roll out a Windows wide app store at some point but really they need it now. There is really no excuse for holding this back.

As far as finding apps, it seems to depend on how you search. Apparently some apps are only visible if you search for them in very specific ways. I don't have a Surface yet so I can't say how to do it but it has sort of been mentioned in various threads that certain apps don't seem visible and others replying you have to do a search. It may also depend on the country you are accessing from.

JP

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You are able to access the Store from the web ( Apps for Windows 8 - Microsoft Windows ) and you can browse the store from any Window 8 Machine, purchase or download apps, then from your Surface go into the store, using the Charms Bar select Your Apps and install them as long as they are compatible with ARM. I believe for Purchased Apps you can install them on up to 5 trusted machines.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I think the problem is that people want access other than via Windows 8/RT. It is a shame the store isn't generally available. If I want to get an app from MS I should be able to use the browser on my iPhone of Android phone while I'm on the go so that when I come back to my tablet or PC it is there.