What's new

[Windows RT] These websites work in Internet Explorer (WARNING: SCREENSHOTS)

oion

I want to limit this thread to Windows RT (Surface RT and Surface 2) since these tests are most relevant to that platform. Testing websites that require a login/subscription would be particularly helpful, but the more the better. Suggestions--school websites (note any special platform web software like Desire2Learn), media streaming websites, participation websites like blogs with commenting forms, etc. You should edit out any visible account info.

(Edit to add: Forgot that I have TPL enabled, so if video doesn't play on some sites, you'd have to disable for that domain, easy to do.)

1. Device and browser version: Surface 2 and IE11
  2. Tested in Metro/desktop or both: Metro only
  3. Website(s) tested and under what conditions: Comcast Xfinity On Demand video streaming (TV section only, home Comcast network without signing in, and fullscreen option). Closed captions and ad interrupts in movie test worked fine.
  4. Post screenshots of the website in action (note any editing): Converted to JPG 100% quality in free Fotor app to reduce file size slightly

xfinity1.jpg

xfinity2.jpg

xfinity3.jpg

xfinity4.jpg

P.S.: This thread isn't meant to represent "websites that work in IE RT" in the exclusive sense but rather popular websites for which there aren't special apps that people may have come to expect.

Last edited:

Talontsi90

givememorestripes.com works fine.

pearldrummersforum.com lets you log in, but something is wrong with the dark theme when you try to reply to a post, the kb pops up and keeps popping down so you cant type.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
givememorestripes.com works fine.

pearldrummersforum.com lets you log in, but something is wrong with the dark theme when you try to reply to a post, the kb pops up and keeps popping down so you cant type.

There is an older version of Vbulletin that does that, you can swipe from the right and click settings....keyboard and bring up the keyboard manually and type a reply. To close the keyboard swipe from the right again it closes. Its a pain, but many of my forums have that issue unfortunately.

Talontsi90

It doesnt exhibit this this behavior using IE 'on the desktop', only in the metro version. Just found that out last night :)

OP
O

oion

Same setup as OP: FOX.com, The Simpsons full episode, both standard video frame and fullscreen.

Converted to JPG 100% and resized down to 1500 without sharpening. I did have to disable my Tracking Protection Lists to get the video to play, by pressing the "no" symbol (block symbol) in the address bar.

fox1.jpg

fox2.jpg

OP
O

oion

Amazon.com (Amazon Prime video streaming), The Avengers HD. The video bars disappear after a bit. Closed captions work fine.

Amazon Unbox (downloaded DRM video to your own archive, played with the Amazon Unbox player) won't work on Windows RT devices since you can't install the Unbox client.

View attachment 1406