What's new

Solved Windows update and Thermometer sign

Wynchester

I am keep getting this thermometer sign whenever I am doing a windows update. and Surface just shut down. It happen to me twice already. This is my second surface. This one is way slower than the first surface pro 3 I had whenever it is doing windows update. I think it is taking 2x as long. Should I return the device? I need some advice.

ctitanic

I am keep getting this thermometer sign whenever I am doing a windows update. and Surface just shut down. It happen to me twice already. This is my second surface. This one is way slower than the first surface pro 3 I had whenever it is doing windows update. I think it is taking 2x as long. Should I return the device? I need some advice.
Are you running Windows update from the metro interface or from desktop mode? And Welcome aboard!

ipaq_101

It means the SP3 is really hot and needs to cool down for a few minutes.

I would take it to the store and swap it out, looks like the update messed up somewhere.

ctitanic

It means the SP3 is really hot and needs to cool down for a few minutes.

I would take it to the store and swap it out, looks like the update messed up somewhere.
If the update was the cause, then a refresh should fix the issue.

Bandito

It sounds like it may have an issue with the heatsink or fan that's not keeping it cool enough to run properly.

If there are a lot of updates to download and install, such as yesterday, my SP3 will heat up quite a bit during the process, but I've never experienced a thermal shutdown like you have.

I'd go ahead and try to replace this one as well.

OP
W

Wynchester

thank you for the quick reply. I did full factory reset just to make sure its wiped clean. I want to test it out before I consider returning. How should I test it? Should I try to do the windows update again? By the way, I did update from the metro ui. Thank you

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
thank you for the quick reply. I did full factory reset just to make sure its wiped clean. I want to test it out before I consider returning. How should I test it? Should I try to do the windows update again? By the way, I did update from the metro ui. Thank you
You will have to do the updates sooner or later so may as well do them first before you spend/waste time on something else.

gtext

Waiting for my SP3 at months end.
Is this overheating an isolated issue when updating or is everybody experiencing this.
Not a good thing seeing that they weren't 3rd party updates but ones MS put out, and since they also manufacture the SP3 it's something you would think they would test themselves.

Grateful to you people in the US doing all this "Beta" testing for me. Many of these issues you are seeing should be fixed or at least known about by the time mine arrives.

DanL

Waiting for my SP3 at months end.
Is this overheating an isolated issue when updating or is everybody experiencing this.
Not a good thing seeing that they weren't 3rd party updates but ones MS put out, and since they also manufacture the SP3 it's something you would think they would test themselves.

Grateful to you people in the US doing all this "Beta" testing for me. Many of these issues you are seeing should be fixed or at least known about by the time mine arrives.

I've had my SP3 since release day and never had a heat problem during updates. It's definitely not normal.

Kif

I've never had a heat problem either. In fact I rarely hear the fan running. It does rev up during update cycles but my desktop PC does the same exact thing. I think the thermal management software is disabled during the update cycle so the system revs itself up to full cooling to protect itself. Please call Surface support because unfortunately you probably have an issue.

OP
W

Wynchester

for the update, I talk to the tech support. And they wanted me to exchanged to a new surface. So I did the exchange today and I am setting the surface up. I hope this one is better than last one.