What's new

Windows Update Issues

SeanP

I have not received an update for my system since 12/24 and yet it says it is checking. I believe this to be an error. I did switch from Windows Defender to BitDefender which seemed to help my battery but not sure if it now interferes with checking for updates. From screenshot you can see that it says there is no update available.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    33.5 KB · Views: 473

bluegrass

I don't know about you but mine is set for automatic updates and half the time I go where you are I get the same thing. I just click on the check for updates and enviably I get a Defender & Dictionary update. I use Defender. I've never read that Defender was a heavy battery user. Since it's put out by Microsoft and the operating system and computer is Microsoft's, I would think the best combination would be to use Microsoft's virus protection software.

leeshor

That's the way all my Windows 8.1 systems work, manually. Just click check now. Then wait...

Joette

I don't want auto updates. I want to be able to select what updates, as in the past, some updates have caused certain programs to have problems, so I always manually update.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well if you don't have Defender running anymore updates are much less frequent, as little as once a month.

leeshor

Normally, the last thing you want to see is what they call an out of band update. Then you know there's a problem somewhere.

Try accessing updates from the desktop control panel - find downloading and installing them from there seems to work most of the time for me, while when I go through the modern UI updates screens, I always have issues.