What's new

Windows Updates not taking

zhenya

For the last couple of months I've been under the impression that I keep installing some of the same Windows updates over and over. It seems like it is nearly always telling me that there are updates to be installed on the log-in screen. I haven't paid it too much attention because otherwise everything seems ok, but today I was installing updates again and one of the updates was the Jan. 15 system update which I know I've installed at least once before.

Otherwise the thing seems to be acting ok. Any idea what's going on here?

OP
Z

zhenya

Thanks. I've been through that with other pc's where I seemed to have an actual problem - like the updates not installing or something- but in this case the updates always install without any errors, and in the short-term it tells me there are no more updates to be installed. It's a few days or even weeks later when it starts offering the same updates to be installed again.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
For the last couple of months I've been under the impression that I keep installing some of the same Windows updates over and over. It seems like it is nearly always telling me that there are updates to be installed on the log-in screen. I haven't paid it too much attention because otherwise everything seems ok, but today I was installing updates again and one of the updates was the Jan. 15 system update which I know I've installed at least once before.

Otherwise the thing seems to be acting ok. Any idea what's going on here?
Are you using the Intel Reference Video Driver? If so, Windows Update will offer the Surface Optimized Driver with each update check....

pbaird

I am experiencing the same thing - KB2881553 Update for the English Input Personalization Dictionary. The version number does change, and I've read that this update comes out almost daily with a new version. Mine hasn't installed successfully in so long I don't even pay it any attention anymore. If I hide the update, it shows up the next day anyway because it's a new version.

OP
Z

zhenya

Are you using the Intel Reference Video Driver? If so, Windows Update will offer the Surface Optimized Driver with each update check....

I am using the Intel video driver to get the resolution I need for my 4k screen, if that's what you mean. However that's new in the last 2 weeks and this issue has been ongoing for a couple of months it seems.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I am using the Intel video driver to get the resolution I need for my 4k screen, if that's what you mean. However that's new in the last 2 weeks and this issue has been ongoing for a couple of months it seems.
Any deviation to the expected driver versions will cause the System Hardware Update to be re-applied, that includes Video or anything else.

OP
Z

zhenya

Ok, that explains that one. I'll have to keep an eye on the other ones to see if it's still happening with other updates.

I would expect that after installing that System Hardware Update that it would have borked my custom resolution settings but that continues to work fine.

B

BChat

Any deviation to the expected driver versions will cause the System Hardware Update to be re-applied, that includes Video or anything else.

Just checked the Updates on my 3, which is only a few days old:
KB2881553 - 16.1.1403.1 - 3/3/2015
KB2881553 - 16.1.1404.1 - 3/4/2015

Looks like you nailed this one jnroach