What's new

Windows XPS has become a liability. What now?

bobinyelm

I received my Surface RT as a gift a few years back from our son, a senior software architect for a major US corporation.

Unfortunately, the installed operating system is no longer viable, with most desired programs or apps not compatible with Windows XPS.

I have brought my Surface to a few computer stores with a Technical Desks and they all say the computer is obsolete, and should just be discarded, and a new Surface purchased as there is no upgrade available for the RT.

They said that the RT was meant to be an introductory computer to influence people to buy a "real" Surface (a Surface Pro) that CAN be upgraded, so no provision was incorporated for upgrading..

Unfortunately, I really cannot justify the purchase of a new computer right now-

Is there anything I can do so I can use programs and Apps that won't play nice with my RT?

I am not a computer or software person, so if there is something "techie," I will see if our son can install it (though he also said, after I left the computer with him and his software department, RT is not upgradable).

I just cannot believe Microsoft would sell computers that just become paperweights. Unfortunately my "old" iPad II became essentially useless, getting slower with every upgrade until the guys at the Apple "Genius Bar" laughed ans said that Apple designs their products to be replaced, and not considered "family heirlooms" as one Genius put it.

Et tu, Microsoft?

Thanks,
Bob

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to 2017 where hardware is disposable and not meant to be fixed or upgraded.

XPS ... A journey down the primrose path.

Sorry you've been stranded on a deserted island with no phone, no car, not a single luxury ... like Gilligan's Isle.

Tell your son I said to get you a new system, he can afford it. :)

OP
B

bobinyelm

Welcome to 2017 where hardware is disposable and not meant to be fixed or upgraded.

XPS ... A journey down the primrose path.

Tell your son I said to get you a new system, he can afford it. :)

So I guess what you are saying is that everything we found out (non-upgradable operating system) is correct?

Drat!

You make a rational point about our son (he earns 3X our income), but is perennially broker than broke, though (or rather because) he spends everything he makes (he thinks nothing of leaving a $50 tip on a $50 restaurant tab).

So I doubt he would ever be able to buy his mom another computer.

She absolutely loves the Surface because he bought if for her and will hate giving up on it. Personally, I think my refurbed Samsung 10" tablet ($125) with the $30 case w/ Bluetooth keyboard does about what the Surface does, but ...

Thanks.

P.S. I am STILL shocked that Microsoft sold ONE model Surface that is a throw-away, yet all the rest can be.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am STILL shocked that Microsoft sold ONE model Surface that is a throw-away, yet all the rest can be.
This is what happens when you fail to articulate a vision and or fail to execute that vision. It was hobbled from the start by bad decisions and they compounded their mistake by not addressing obvious weaknesses ultimately leading to abandoning the effort. We now see Intel bail on the Tablet market forcing Microsoft to revive/retool it's Windows on ARM efforts. They had the right idea to begin with but it all went sideways with poor execution, communication, and Marketing.

However, most tablets are not hardware upgradeable (with the exception of a few enterprise focused and more expensive lines). This is a rapidly moving field so anything 3-4 years old is outdated. Most Android tablets don't get updates and even in the Apple Walled Garden updates are not available for models of a similar vintage as the SRT. It's not just Microsoft it's everyone and the nature of the industry today.