What's new

Windows XX to Windows 8

J515OP

Super Moderator
Windows 3.1 was the first for me too. So glad to be past that. Without a doubt Windows 7 has been the best Windows I have used. XP was the longest but as comfortable as I got there I couldn't go back now :D

chuckpo

I used windows 1.1a and still have every release of Windows. 3.1 was a great improvement, Windows 95 was great, Windows XP was great as is Windows 7. Windows 8 for a desktop or portable is NOT going to make the cut. It is too drastic a change for the masses.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Windows 95 was great, it is a very close second to XP. The foundation of Windows is solidly there but XP was the first to bring true refinement to the OS.

Skywaffle

Super Moderator
Windows 286 (2.1) for me. Needless to say, MS-DOS was always primarily used, that is, until Windows 95 came around. I never really appreciated a Microsoft GUI until 95 came around (Amiga Workbench just couldn't be beat :) )

jimbow

I used windows 1.1a and still have every release of Windows. 3.1 was a great improvement, Windows 95 was great, Windows XP was great as is Windows 7. Windows 8 for a desktop or portable is NOT going to make the cut. It is too drastic a change for the masses.

Yep, widows 1.1 a with the 5000 floppies :)
And the 1/2 OS (IBM OS/2)

And anything else that runs on x86

I on the other hand do not think Win 8 will be another Win ME. It screams for a touch screen rather than a mouse so business acceptance is going to be low.