What's new

windows8 for PC wasteofmoney

dallasfreak

Ok this is my point !!!! I received my Surface on Nov.9th and downloaded windows 8 for my pc on Nov 5 ! that being said I played with windows 8 for 4 days and have not turn on my PC since the 9th ......thus waste of 40.00 ......damn somebody should have warn me about the addiction to the SURFACE!@@@:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:eek:mg:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I ended up selling my year old Samsung Series 7 Slate because I didn't use it that often. I am using a Windows 8 Desktop that I remote into to do things like Outlook/OneNote integration but then I sync notebooks and actually take the note on my Surface. I do quite a bit of Excel work through RDP. The Surface is my Mobile Touch Screen Monitor for the desktop and all around mobile platform.

bosamar

Your Win8 PC will eventually come back into use. My Win8 desktop PC is non-touch but I've been able to duplicate everything. I've learned a lot about Win8 since purchasing my RT.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
What I really like about using a complete Windows 8/RT ecosystem is that Multitouch is supported across RDP to the Windows 8 Desktop, its like having two tablets in one :)

Alewood

I have a quick question. I have had my surface for awhile now, and have been interested in how to set up RDP. I'm currently running win 7 home premium, will upgrading to win 8 give me the capability to connect my surface RT to my desktop? Thanks guys

ArnoldC

@alewood, enable remote desktop on your Windows 7 box and your RT can connect to it via Remote Desktop, but only one session, i.e., the Windows 7 box will be locked as long as you are remotely connected to it. - edit: i'm sorry, you said Home Edition.

Last edited:

TrentonT

What I really like about using a complete Windows 8/RT ecosystem is that Multitouch is supported across RDP to the Windows 8 Desktop, its like having two tablets in one :)
I agree I just loaded Windows 8 Pro on both Desktops at home and it has openned a new life for them. Boot much faster, a bit of a learning curve but functionality is great. Got a free key from Microsoft promo till end of January works great. The one box is in the media room using a 52" LCD HD as a monitor (colour me impressed). Had to download and install AMD catalsyt to fix the overscan but that ws it.
My home office Desktop is a Dual monitoe Win 8 was disghed for that I run Desktop on my primary monitoe and Modern on the second. With Surface it is a complete set.
If you have not gone after the Media Centre offer (Saves you $10.00) follow this link:
Add features - Microsoft Windows