What's new

WinPE Boot, Macrium restore, no toucscreen

rmachin

I set up Macrium reflect WinPE boot drive (usb), and it boots fine, but the touchscreen and keyboard are unavailable so can't select anything. Anyone know how to get winpe to boot into touchscreen?

Richard

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You would need to inject the drivers into the PE Image using pnputil.exe and DISM, you would need to download the Surface Driver Pack, locate the needed drivers and inject them.

leeshor

Just for clarification, Macrium uses the most current PE, (downloads it for you), to create an ISO that should include the drivers.

OP
R

rmachin

Yes I just used macrium to create the winpe image on the usb stick. Tried 5.0 and 4.0. Neither seemed to include either network drivers or the touch driver, so essentially useless -- but the macrium boot environment came up perfectly -- just can't access it!

OP
R

rmachin

I wonder if there is any way to boot from USb and restore a disk image? There must be a way to add the touch drivers.

OP
R

rmachin

Looking at this I think the easiest thing for me as an individual user (as opposed to mass deployer) is to simply use the surface to make a bootable recovery drive, stick the image recovery program on that, then do a boot->recover image->boot in the unlikely case of disaster. An extra step, but the S3 does everything pretty quickly so no problem.