What's new

Wipe Surface Pro 3 Before Selling

MDS

I'm selling my Surface Pro 3. My situation is I've upgraded it to Windows 10 while subscribing to the technical preview. I did make a recovery drive on a USB before upgrading from Windows 8.1. I am wanting to keep Windows 10 before selling.

If I go to All Settings - Update and Security - Recovery - Reset this PC and select the option to Remove Everything (personal files/apps/setting) will this make it ready for selling without leaving my information on the computer?

If it's important to know, I do have a Recovery directory on the computer.

Any advise on the process would be appreciated.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you do the Reset which does remove everything, but there's an additional security option to do a secure erase of the drive. If you do that it will take a while... :)

OP
MDS

MDS

Assume the "additional security option" will appear after the process is started after I select the option to Remove Everything?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assume the "additional security option" will appear after the process is started after I select the option to Remove Everything?
I don't recall exactly where it is but it was a check box or something like that on one of the screens.

SRVwannab

I spent to0 long trying, and finally realized, "you can't get there from here"- or at least, I couldn't- so I went to the Microsoft Store and had them do it. Frankly, it bugged me. You should be able to wipe your system a lot easier than that... The glass half full perspective is that it was nice to be able to take it into a MS store and have them do it for me. :)

Telstar1948

When you do the Reset which does remove everything, but there's an additional security option to do a secure erase of the drive. If you do that it will take a while... :)

Which brings another thought to mind: once you've reset your device to pass it on to someone else, does this automatically de-register the device with your Microsoft account and also Office? Or is this something one must attend to manually?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which brings another thought to mind: once you've reset your device to pass it on to someone else, does this automatically de-register the device with your Microsoft account and also Office? Or is this something one must attend to manually?
Manual. You must do it or the new buyer wont be able to register.