What's new

wiping surface pro 3

Mark Vincett5

hi all
if i was to wipe the hard drive of the surface or delete the partitions, are there any I have to keep want to start form scratch and install windows 10
the drive has 6 partition
Healthy (Recovery) 350MB
Healthy (EFI System) 200MB
C:\windows d:\my partition 49 GB
Healthy (Recover) 450MB
D:\Stuff 181GB
Healthy Recover Partition 6.5 GB
so want to install windows 10 from a USB

leeshor

You posted in Surface Pro 3 and your profiles says the same but your title says Surface 3?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are some caveats to that...
First unless you have already Upgraded the Surface to Windows 10 you will have to provide a purchased Windows 10 Retail Key for the clean install.

Some programs will get deleted and you wont be entitled to get them back for free... was in an article on Forbes yesterday.

I think there was Something else too but I cant recall at the moment.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Expand "If you chose to create installation media" > "How to perform a clean install... "

OP
M

Mark Vincett5

There are some caveats to that...
First unless you have already Upgraded the Surface to Windows 10 you will have to provide a purchased Windows 10 Retail Key for the clean install.

Some programs will get deleted and you wont be entitled to get them back for free... was in an article on Forbes yesterday.

I think there was Something else too but I cant recall at the moment.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Expand "If you chose to create installation media" > "How to perform a clean install... "

Ok thank for the help I have install windows 10 I no all about doing upgrade and that once that is done you can do a clean install just need to no do I have to keep any of the partitions I no C: and D: can go and I think the 6gb recover can, but it the other ones I am not to sure about mainly Healthy (EFI System) does that have to stay do I need this to boot the surface or can I wipe all and let windows 10 do the rest like with a desktop Pc

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well it's your choice ... some guides say Delete ALL partitions within Windows 10 Setup and Windows 10 will take care of the rest after you select the un-partitioned space. However IF you want the possibility of using the Recovery Partition to Go back to the Original OS you need to leave those other partitions intact.

You made a FULL Image Backup with Macrium Reflect right?

OP
M

Mark Vincett5

Well it's your choice ... some guides say Delete ALL partitions within Windows 10 Setup and Windows 10 will take care of the rest after you select the un-partitioned space. However IF you want the possibility of using the Recovery Partition to Go back to the Original OS you need to leave those other partitions intact.

You made a FULL Image Backup with Macrium Reflect right?

ok thanks for that I have a recover usb stick so if it goes bad than I can use that, was mainly the EFI partition thought that had to stay
to boot the surface

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok thanks for that I have a recover usb stick so if it goes bad than I can use that, was mainly the EFI partition thought that had to stay
to boot the surface
Id expect W10 will create three partitions based on research and my understanding so far... efi, a recovery tools partition similar to Windows RE and the C Drive. This based on what I saw from the upgrade. However Disk Management will show them as unlabeled, no file system and empty. Status would indicate Recovery or EFI.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
will I did the complete drive wipe and install windows 10 and all good, just like to thank every body for there help
Can you report on the partitions created as shown in Disk Management or even upload a screenshot of the Disk Management display?