What's new

Wireless 5GHz wireless reconnection issues

gabe406

Hell everyone,

I did a quick search here and did not see anyone having this problem but I am hoping I missed a post or looking forward to having anyone shed some light on a frustrating issue with the wireless connection. I have a D-Link 650 that is setup with dual band 2 and 5 GHz. There is also another wireless router the cable company setup that was kinda had connection issues with bandwidth. So I wired the D-Link to the wireless cable router and created two addition SSIDs, one in 2 and another in 5 Ghz ranges. I can connect to the new 5GHz network and everything works very well. After shutting down the SP2 and restarting it the SP2 always goes back to the original wireless. Then I have to reconnect the new 5GHz network and each time it adds a new network name like 5GHZwireless 1 2 3 4 5. Why is the new 5GHz network completely disappearing and why would I have to reconnect each time? I do have all the settings on the 5GHz set to default and always connect so that should at list keep it in the list of available networks. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hell everyone,

I did a quick search here and did not see anyone having this problem but I am hoping I missed a post or looking forward to having anyone shed some light on a frustrating issue with the wireless connection. I have a D-Link 650 that is setup with dual band 2 and 5 GHz. There is also another wireless router the cable company setup that was kinda had connection issues with bandwidth. So I wired the D-Link to the wireless cable router and created two addition SSIDs, one in 2 and another in 5 Ghz ranges. I can connect to the new 5GHz network and everything works very well. After shutting down the SP2 and restarting it the SP2 always goes back to the original wireless. Then I have to reconnect the new 5GHz network and each time it adds a new network name like 5GHZwireless 1 2 3 4 5. Why is the new 5GHz network completely disappearing and why would I have to reconnect each time? I do have all the settings on the 5GHz set to default and always connect so that should at list keep it in the list of available networks. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

why not get rid of the router with the bandwidth issue? My company has multiple wireless routers in 2 and 5 ghz and when Im walking around the building my sp2 switches flawlessly between connections. Im thinking its the router that is the issue.

OP
gabe406

gabe406

I found this great thread on the exact same problem. I think I will try the option of broadcasting the SSID, then connecting it to the SP2, then set the reconnect options, then turning off the SSID broadcasting.

Windows 8: Hidden wireless networks will not reconnect on - Microsoft Community

The router is only a year old and being able to connect the 5GHz network eliminates some of the Bluetooth issues I had. Yes, you are right the removing the router will work. I was just surprised as to why the wireless connection profile would not stick.

Thanks

CrippsCorner

I can see you've resolved this but just to add (because I had something similar) I just disabled the stored password on my 2.4GHz connection :) and then it automatically connects to my 5GHz connection instead because it's the only one it can!

OP
gabe406

gabe406

Well, I found some solutions but have not tried them yet. I will try tonight and see what happens. Inside that thread was a registry that was explained to resolve an issue with docked wired ports and not having the ability to maintaining both but I don't think I have that problem. Anyway, thanks for the reply. I will try to disable the stored password a you suggested.