What's new

Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers: DISCONTINUED

gangolfus

It seems like an odd accessory for a touchscreen device. I mean, isn't the Surface designed to be used at no greater than arm's length? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't a single use case for a detached keyboard, but it seems to me to fall into the 'Toy' category more-so than an everyday useful accessory. While I'm sure 90%+ of Surface owners have keyboards, I'd bet only a single digit percentage have use for making it wireless.

OP
benjitek

benjitek

It seems like an odd accessory for a touchscreen device...[BLAH BLAH BLAH]
Someone better tell that huge iPad Bluetooth keyboard consumer-base they made a mistake -- lol. It's obvious you didn't purchase one, however, the fact that it exists isn't really a topic worthy of debate. Thanks though for stopping by ;-)

gangolfus

Someone better tell that huge iPad Bluetooth keyboard consumer-base they made a mistake -- lol. It's obvious you didn't purchase one, however, the fact that it exists isn't really a topic worthy of debate. Thanks though for stopping by ;-)

I know at least a dozen people who have iPads and not a single one of them has a keyboard for it, proving my point. Also, Apple does not make an official iPad keyboard, further proving my point that there is not a large market for them. I guarantee you if Apple believed that they could sell 25 million of them they wouldn't cede the market to 3rd party makers. But they can't. So they don't. Thanks though for stopping by.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I have one. And it is very comfortable to put a few feet between my keyboard and a kicked back SP2.

I bought mine from bestbuy.com .

I suggest that it would still be good to get one. Should be stock hanging around, probably at a good price.

As to why it is being discontinued, I would guess:
- Not worth competing against myriad Bluetooth Windows keyboards
- Not compatible with the Power Cover. The Power Cover can't do its reserve power job remotely.
- Not able to 'fold up' and carry with the Surface. Even keyboards do. Does not match the concept of portability. Mice don't either, by the way.

I think Microsoft is making the wrong call on this one, though. They should at least license the product out to be manufactured / offered by a 3rd party.;)

Last edited:
OP
benjitek

benjitek

[BLAH BLAH BLAH]...proving my point that there is not a large market for them...[BLAH BLAH BLAH]...I guarantee you...[BLAH BLAH BLAH]...they can't. So they don't.
You haven't 'proved' anything; nor have you 'guaranteed' anything. You've expressed an opinion, nothing more. Again, thanks for stopping by -- everyone's opinion is welcome ;-)

kundas1

It seems like an odd accessory for a touchscreen device. I mean, isn't the Surface designed to be used at no greater than arm's length? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there isn't a single use case for a detached keyboard, but it seems to me to fall into the 'Toy' category more-so than an everyday useful accessory. While I'm sure 90%+ of Surface owners have keyboards, I'd bet only a single digit percentage have use for making it wireless.

OMG dude are you kidding? I use mine I just bought all the time! I use to connect my 55" tv and play some games, I use it to browse Netflix and movies and I'm comfortable on my couch to switch or browse the internet without getting up, no offence but YOUR opinion doesn't mean anything really. this is a bad idea on MS part....

OP
benjitek

benjitek

OMG dude are you kidding? I use mine I just bought all the time!
I know, right? I don't think he realizes that the little wonder-gizmo turns the keyboard into a standard Bluetooth one, not a proprietary Surface accessory. I use mine with my SP2 >and< my AppleTV -- glad I bought it when I did, sorry to know I won't be able to replace it if I want another :-(