What's new

Wireless adapter not working and no recovery environment

GorData

I also have a Cisco VPN and no wireless connectivity. I think you guys are on to something. Going to uninstall now and update my findings.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Oh Cisco VPN..... you've done again you silly "kernel corrupting.... you're not going to have Miracast" VPN Client... we love you so.....

jond291

Ok, I managed to fix the problem.

First I went back to a backup and tried the upgrade again, the same thing happened and I still didn't have WiFi.

Then I did a clean install using an ISO I downloaded, everything worked as expected although it wasn't activated, spent 90 minutes on the phone on hold to Microsoft to get it activated when eventually someone answered and put the phone down pretty much straight away. (Great service)

In the end I decided to download a Surface 3 recovery image from the Microsoft website, and followed the instructions to apply the image to my system. I had to run through 100+ windows updates then it allowed me to do the upgrade to Windows 10 again.

This time the update finished and happy times, I have WiFi!

I think the problem is some underlying OS corruption interferes with the upgrade, best bet is to just start from scratch.

Ok, I managed to fix the problem.

First I went back to a backup and tried the upgrade again, the same thing happened and I still didn't have WiFi.

Then I did a clean install using an ISO I downloaded, everything worked as expected although it wasn't activated, spent 90 minutes on the phone on hold to Microsoft to get it activated when eventually someone answered and put the phone down pretty much straight away. (Great service)

In the end I decided to download a Surface 3 recovery image from the Microsoft website, and followed the instructions to apply the image to my system. I had to run through 100+ windows updates then it allowed me to do the upgrade to Windows 10 again.

This time the update finished and happy times, I have WiFi!

I think the problem is some underlying OS corruption interferes with the upgrade, best bet is to just start from scratch.

After going through this, did you find your recovery partition worked again?

After going through this, did you find your recovery partition worked again?

Think I just answered my own question. Windows 10 does not appear to use the recovery partition like 8 did. It actually allows you to recover without it using files already downloaded. Of course this means you need a usb key if things are too bad, but also means it is up to date as of the latest update.

I just did a fresh install using the ISO put on a USB key using Roofus. I am testing a recovery now and it is going through it even though I do not have a recovery partition now.

Lots more drive space. I like it.

BTW, I just skipped the activation steps and it came up activated anyways because I had previously done an upgrade to 8.1 which "registered" my SP3 to be allowed to run Windows 10.

mdelolmo

So I just did the upgrade to the official Win 10 release. I have no wireless networks available, but the Marvell AC controller is in the Device Manager. I have tried uninstalling it multiple times. I also tried refreshing the system, but it says it can't find the recovery environment. I tried downloading the Surface Pro 3 drivers to do a manual install, but the .ppkg file requires a password. Any pointers?

Also I have the same problem I think they nead to relaease a new driver ASAP!!