What's new

Wireless Card Disappears After Extended Idle

Evan

I just got a Surface Pro 3. While I do like it, I notice that every once in a while after hibernating/sleeping for a few hours, I will turn the surface back on and have no wireless card at all. This isn't the problem where it can't connect to wireless networks; it can't see that it even has a wireless card at all. I went to device manager and there was an indicator that there was a problem with the device, but enabling / disabling it didn't help. Unfortunately the only way I found to fix it is to restart the system. Has anyone else run into this problem or have any advice on how to remedy it?

Thanks,
Evan

mcsenerd

I also STILL have issues occasionally after sleep even though there were updates to address this very issue.

stonerwinst

I haven't encountered this specifically yet. Mine won't reconnect to my AC router when the device wakes up from hibernate. I have to manually disable and re-enable the adapter to reconnect. Very annoying indeed.

Prowler9

Mine does it as well... Actually my last one did it a lot my new one hasn't done it yet. (got it replaced Friday for a different issue)

drolem

This could be an issue with the device, the device driver, or the USB bus that connects the Marvell chip chip to the system. Try a sleep / resume cycle to see if that fixes it.

stonerwinst

I reinstalled the WIFI driver. Just when I thought the reconnect problem was resolved, the issue reoccurred this morning. When the SP3 woke up from hibernate, WIFI was stuck with limited connectivity. I had to toggle the WIFI adapter off and on to fix it. Quite annoying. I didn't have this issue with the SP1.

This time I uninstalled, deleted the driver, and reinstalled using the July 2014 driver pack. Let's see if the situation improves.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speculating: This is probably related to the connected standby mode and dynamically powering off the WiFi to save power. its probably not always waking up properly. Disable and reenable would make a lot of sense in that situation. Likely the target of a future update ... Reinstalling the driver would probably not have any lasting effect.