What's new

wireless display adapter (miracast)

zhenya

Is there an advantage to the Microsoft adapter over using a 3rd party device such as the Roku Stick which is cheaper and can double as a media device?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Is there an advantage to the Microsoft adapter over using a 3rd party device such as the Roku Stick which is cheaper and can double as a media device?
Miracast is Miracast (understanding that as a standard many ODMs use Whitelisting so the SP3 may or may not work with a specific device)....I use the PTV3000, ScreenBeam Pro and the Microsoft Adapter, the advantage of the MS one is that it is really small and easy to carry in my tablet sleeve.

zhenya

Miracast is Miracast (understanding that as a standard many ODMs use Whitelisting so the SP3 may or may not work with a specific device)....I use the PTV3000, ScreenBeam Pro and the Microsoft Adapter, the advantage of the MS one is that it is really small and easy to carry in my tablet sleeve.

Thanks. Good to know.

The Roku stick is small like a thumb drive and a nice device to travel with anyhow so the fact that it can double as a screen adapter is a nice bonus!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

Considering one of these next month (would have to get it shipped from america as it's about £20 more in the UK). Out of curiosity, does the WDA allow "hot swapping"? that is to say use it on one tv, then walk downstairs and plug it into a different tv (assuming it works with both sets) without having to repair each time i plug it into a different device.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That's how I use my Microsoft Wireless Adapter, I carry it with me in plug it into which ever HDMI connection I need to present from, its always the same Wireless Display.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's how I use my Microsoft Wireless Adapter, I carry it with me in plug it into which ever HDMI connection I need to present from, its always the same Wireless Display.

Thanks :) Beginning to get fed up of having a different cable or adaptor for each device i own when i want to plug into a tv etc

Now i just need to find a magical stepladder that will fit in my bag so i can reach the inputs of the university projectors :D