What's new

Wireless Display Adapter + SP3 = Stutter & Lag

rcxotic

Curious to hear how folks set it up with no issues.

I got the wireless adapter the other day and I must say it was underwhelming. My setup is SP3 i7 8GB extended desktop to 1080p TV via the wireless adapter. There was lag which is to be expected, but what I did not expect was stutter which is very noticeable when during video playback. Sometimes there would be tearing too if the SP3 is too far from the TV. Both tearing and stuttering gets worse as distance with the TV increases.

I've applied all available updates via Change PC Settings and Wireless Display Adapter app shows no available firmware updates.

Any suggestions? Many thanks!

r0b123

What app and/or browser are you using for video playback? I've noticed I had to keep the number of apps open to a minimum to reduce the lag. For instance, for video playback like youtube, I'll use IE instead of Chrome for videos via the wireless adapter. If i'm not streaming to my tv, I'll use Chrome. Also keep the number of tabs open, especially if its using flash which uses the cpu. In addition, rather than using my BT mouse, I connect a wired mouse but only when I use the wireless adapter.

bluegrass

You didn't mention what wireless adapter you were using. I purchased a Nyrius Aries Prime for $199 from Amazon and haven't had any problems with it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm using the Microsoft Wireless at work, the ScreenBeam Pro in my Living Room and the Netgear PTV3000 in the Bedroom, all work as intended. I'm attached my Microsoft one at work 8-10 hours a day....

Using 5GHz for WiFi opens Miracast to use the 2.4GHz band without contention....

bluegrass

Guess I should have said that the Nyrius is a full video wireless adaptor. I'm not talking about a tuner to receive Netflix, etc. I just takes everything on your Surface screen and broadcasts it wirelessly to an monitor/TV that has an HDMI input.

OP
R

rcxotic

Thanks all. I did some further test to see if Bluetooth was the issue but it seems to be same on or off. My SP3 is now less then 2 feet away from the MS Wireless Display Adapter pumping out a 1080p video, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on and it is stuttering.

I found that Bluetooth on or off did not make a difference, the different modes didn't make a difference, the different hz (24, 25, 30) didn't make a difference, wi-fi on/off didn't make a difference.

So weird. Anyone else have similar problems? Open to more suggestions.

Thanks!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks all. I did some further test to see if Bluetooth was the issue but it seems to be same on or off. My SP3 is now less then 2 feet away from the MS Wireless Display Adapter pumping out a 1080p video, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on and it is stuttering.

I found that Bluetooth on or off did not make a difference, the different modes didn't make a difference, the different hz (24, 25, 30) didn't make a difference, wi-fi on/off didn't make a difference.

So weird. Anyone else have similar problems? Open to more suggestions.

Thanks!
With wifi off you cannot connect.

It's possible there's a problem with the Adapter. Do you have a Wireless Spectrum Analyzer? I haven't seen one in the Windows Store but there available on the Web. You may have interference.

Wireless is a tango between two devices and the surrounding equipment that may be using or straying into the wireless spectrum.

OP
R

rcxotic

With wifi off you cannot connect.

It's possible there's a problem with the Adapter. Do you have a Wireless Spectrum Analyzer? I haven't seen one in the Windows Store but there available on the Web. You may have interference.

Wireless is a tango between two devices and the surrounding equipment that may be using or straying into the wireless spectrum.

I don't have one of these Wireless Spectrum Analyzer, but I will try.
I need coffee! I meant to say "not connected to any hotspots" instead of "wi fi off".

Thanks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I don't have one of these Wireless Spectrum Analyzer, but I will try.
I need coffee! I meant to say "not connected to any hotspots" instead of "wi fi off".

Thanks.
Give us some of the environmental variables you are contending with, is this a multi-tenant dwelling like an Apartment or Condo, or High Density Urban Neighborhood, Suburban Housing Track, Country Living?

clrk9000

I have an i3-256 and the Microsoft wireless video adaptor. I can watch online movies and project it to my TV with no issues. Lag is non issue at least for watching movies. I live in an apartment with easily over 20SSIDs on scan.

I can project also anything through my Asus Windows 8.1 laptop with no issue.

I have a Linksys EA4500 but now using an Asus AC87U.