What's new

Is there ANY wireless keyboard adapter out there that works with Surface BOOK?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
HI!

Surface Book user here.

I REALLY want to improve my posture & my life at my keyboard, and one major way to do that is to have my screen higher, while keyboard stays same.

This is why wireless keyboards exist. But it seems CRAZY to buy ANOTHER wireless keyboard, when I already have a detachable keyboard! Part of the benefits of being a surface user, no?

I've done some research for a wireless keyboard adapter and I've gotten mixed info.

There is a product page for a wireless keyboard adapter on Microsoft.com that says that it IS compatible with Surface Book: Microsoft Surface Wireless Adapter for Typing Covers | Bluetooth keyboard adapter

But other reports (amazon reviews) say this product is NOT compatible with Surface Book

Can any brilliant person tell me if there is a wireless keyboard adapter for Surface Book, which will let me use my SB with the keyboard I already have while the screen is detached?

And if any MS product person is reading this, PLEASE make this a thing!

Thank you in advance!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The description is true with a caveat, the Surface Wireless Adapter will work on any Windows 10 computer when its attached to a Surface Pro 3 Keyboard Cover, it is not compatible with any newer technologies.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I still use the WKA on my Surface Pro 3, but it is not compatible with my Surface Book.

You can use a Bluetooth keyboard, though. These two Bluetooth keyboards are marketed by posturite.com.uk , and have good reviews. Other versions are available.

US_Number_Slide_Keyboard_v2_Bluetooth_Front_Open_Hand_Hi_Res__89252.1459975757.1280.1280.jpg

Posturite-Number-Slide-Arch-Keyboard_02_copy__54117.1304000787.1280.1280.jpg

Ok,
Well I'm not happy that I can't just go ahead and use my already-detachable keyboard with my surface book, but thank you very much for your replies.

Cheers

my biggest thing is staying LIGHTWEIGHT, as I want to use this while travelling, and adding another keyboard will just add more weight.

Will try to find a super light-weight bluetooth keyboard...

The description is true with a caveat, the Surface Wireless Adapter will work on any Windows 10 computer when its attached to a Surface Pro 3 Keyboard Cover, it is not compatible with any newer technologies.
...Then the description isn't REALLY true, as it does say that "applies to SURFACE BOOK"
surface book.png

...they should probably change that so as not to disappoint other surface book users like me... :-(

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The adapter is for a surface typing cover, i.e the type cover. Not the surface books base. It applies to the surface book in that if you take a type cover, and pair it up with the surface book using the adapter, then it'll work.

Ok, so the Surface 3 type cover (or any type cover) CAN be used with the Surface Book?

Maybe what I should get is a type cover, then?.... They are nice and lightweight, right?

Or would that be nulled by the weight of the adapter...?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
...Then the description isn't REALLY true, as it does say that "applies to SURFACE BOOK"
View attachment 8386

...they should probably change that so as not to disappoint other surface book users like me... :-(

The description is poorly worded but technically correct but misses the part that it is only compatible with the Surface Pro 3 Type Cover

..Unless, am I missing something and can I use the surface pro 3 keyboard cover WITH the surface book???

Correct - you need the Pro 3 Type Cover

Ok, so the Surface 3 type cover (or any type cover) CAN be used with the Surface Book?

Maybe what I should get is a type cover, then?.... They are nice and lightweight, right?

Or would that be nulled by the weight of the adapter...?

Pro 3 Type Cover, the adapter would be inconvenient at best while traveling (battery doesn't last very long). You sound like you really want/need a Surface Pro 4...

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds to me like you should buy a second monitor or just a Bluetooth keyboard. A Bluetooth keyboard would be a heck of a lot cheaper than a type cover and adapter.

The idea of having surface book keyboard wireless doesn't really work well anyway as the SB has no kickstand. It would be nice if it did but MS seem to be clear in that they want to differentiate the products.

You sound like you really want/need a Surface Pro 4...

Well what I REALLY want is Surface Book with a Pro keyboard. So...probably not gonna get what I really want ;)

If I have to choose between the keyboard that I want (Pro type) and the screen that I like the best (Surface book), I have to go with screen, as I use my surface book as my work station and I am an online marketing consultant, so I use my laptop CONSTANTLY. Screen size is a huge deal for me in terms of productivity...

So I'll have to just go with your suggestions & get a bluetooth keyboard (& the "roost")

Thanks to everybody here for clarifying my options. I really had no idea what they were. Cheers!