What's new

Wireless N Performance

R0bR

On my old router I had wireless N configured but it only had 2.6Ghz spectrum, I was getting around 7-8 Mb/s transfers to my home server whether I used my Surface or my W7 laptop with a draft N spec NIC. My router died so I replaced it with an ASUS RT-66U which has had great reviews for wireless N performance on 5Ghz. With my Surface I have only been able to get 2.5 - 4 Mb/s while connected to 5Ghz meanwhile my W7 laptop with just a draft N NIC can now get 14 - 15 Mb/s. I have verified that I am connecting to the correct channel, my connection is showing as 168 Mbps as opposed to 54 Mbps that I was showing while on my old router.

Is anyone else on 5Ghz and getting proper throughput?

Russ

R0bR --

A little help for the handicapped: How are you determining throughput on the Surface?

I am running with a Linksys WAP610-N (or, depending on where I am, a Linksys RE-1000 extender). Would like to make the comparison if I knew how.

My Momma always said I should have stayed in school longer.

Take care,
Russ

I am using my surface on Wireless N 5GHz and using speedtest.net I see speeds of 40Mbps on my 50Mbps internet connection. I get alot faster speeds on my 5GHz connection then I do on my 2.4GHz connection. My router is a Dlink DIR-825

bosamar

Sometimes newer isn't better. My home has four WiFi users. Each is using their tablet, laptop, smartphone at any given time. You must take that into consideration. WiFi will never match hardwire.

ArnoldC

I am using my surface on Wireless N 5GHz and using speedtest.net I see speeds of 40Mbps on my 50Mbps internet connection. I get alot faster speeds on my 5GHz connection then I do on my 2.4GHz connection. My router is a Dlink DIR-825

Using speedtest.net introduces a new endpoint, which is not going to give you speed between your *WiFi router and Surface RT*.

OP
R

R0bR

Sorry everyone, I said Mb/s but I meant MB/s.

R0bR --

A little help for the handicapped: How are you determining throughput on the Surface?

Simple test actually, I copy a video file to or from my server and note what Windows reports in throughput.

Not actually the same test as LAN speed, but the fact that you get faster speed with 5Ghz is good and what I see with my laptop but not on my Surface.

Sometimes newer isn't better. My home has four WiFi users. Each is using their tablet, laptop, smartphone at any given time. You must take that into consideration. WiFi will never match hardwire.

For sure Bosamar, I try to keep the variables the same with my simple testing, it's just that the difference is in speed between the two is too much to be normal. I don't think the drivers on the Surface are as good as they could be for wireless N on 5Ghz.

bosamar

For sure Bosamar, I try to keep the variables the same with my simple testing, it's just that the difference is in speed between the two is too much to be normal. I don't think the drivers on the Surface are as good as they could be for wireless N on 5Ghz.

I've got a super fast WiFi at home, 75/35 Mbps down/up (FioS) and sometimes my family are all online at the same time. IMO it affects the results. IMO Those online speed test are not accurate.

OP
R

R0bR

Thats pretty sweet, I'm waiting for FIOS to come available where I am, currently I have cable at 30/3 which really is fine for internet use since I can stream HD. It's just when I'm moving video files around on my home network it's slower than it should be, it may be the Asus router, just need to confirm before I return it. You know something is wrong when my wireless LAN speeds are about the same as your upload speeds to the internet.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Question - Are you saving to the SSD or your SD Card when testing the Surface RT through put? Disk Queue Link can impact total through put as it waits to write to disk.

Using speedtest.net introduces a new endpoint, which is not going to give you speed between your *WiFi router and Surface RT*.

My bad, I didnt read the OPs original post very carefully. I dont know what speed I am getting from my surface to my LAN at home. I am working out of town right now as well so I cant test that until the weekend.

I havent tried using 2.4GHz again as the 5GHz is faster, but I recently changed channels on the 2.4GHz connection as I noticed there was crowding from neighbors on that channel. I will retest that connection as well when I get home.

MSurfaceWA

I have an Airport Extreme from Apple and when I do a file transfer from a hardwired windows desktop to the Surface I rarely get speeds above 5mb per second, its usually between 2-5mb per second like you. I switch between 2.4 and 5GHz and see little difference. Could it just be that the surface isn't capable of processing/writing/receiving files any faster than that?