What's new

Wireless network problems

Arizona Willie

Lately I have been seeing a lot of errors when using my Surface Pro on the Internet. It often says there is a long running script and wants to know if it should stop the script.

Web pages load somewhat slowly.

Today my owner had to go to the doctors for some tests and they have free wi-fi and pages just POPPED onto the screen faster than I have ever seen them do that.
Most wi-fi spots are very slow compared to my home network.

But seeing those pages load so fast with no error messages about the long running scripts made me wonder if I need a new router.

I'm running a Cisco Linksys E2000 router and a Motorolas SB 5101 Surfboard Cable modem, which at the time were about the best you could get.
They run 24 hours a day. Not sure how long I've had them. Might be able to look them up in my Quicken records.

I was shocked to see the Surface work so fast on that wireless network.

jeffskent

Perhaps you have a friend who could loan you his router for a couple of hours or so? Have you tried to switch from one of the three main browsers to the other two for testing purposes? I have 10 mbps from TimeWarner and an expensive D Link router and I always get better results at home, unless I am at the Microsoft or Apple Stores. BTW, how fast is you modem speed? Perhaps you have a downgraded connection from your provider?

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

My internet connection is only 5mbs because every time Cox raises their prices I cut my services.
My bill still runs $250+ a month for Cox.
My owner loves her TV and if she's happy --- I'm happy :)
So we get a slew of channels. I have actually cut a couple out that she doesn't really watch.
But I've never had much problem with the Internet, even after I cut the speed from 25 mps to 5 mps.
And all the error messages are something that has only been going on maybe a week.

I think I will email Linksys tomorrow and ask them if there is some test program. I just went to speedtest.net and everything was fine.
Got 5.39 mps down and 1.1 mps up which is right where it is supposed to be.
But, of course, that doesn't test the wireless network in my house.

Hmm, maybe I can charge up my old Xoom tablet and see how that works and see if it is the Surface or the network, but my money is the router may be getting old.
I just looked it up and I bought it in April 2010 so it has been running 24 hours a day for 3 years +.
So has the modem.

psnative

why don't you try a router/modem from your provider & see if it's better. If not, take it back. time warner charges $5/mo for theirs.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Hmm, I got 17 updates on the Surface yesterday and today I had no problems with the wireless network.
Perhaps one of those updates somehow fixed it.

I HOPE.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
I had the same problems during the last month, with IE really acting slow with pages like facebook (new router + 32Mbit)
Are you using IE or another browser?
Regarding your assumption: While your speed isn't the fastest, it's definitive fast enough for web surfing. But without a Traceroute and a router/modem reboot, the small possibility for your hardware/line being responsible for this remains.

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Although I hate IE I use it in the morning, because it is the only touch enabled browser -- that works.

I like to read the comics on the msnbc and the local newspaper sites while having breakfast and I need a touch enabled browser to do that in order to be able to expand them large enough to read easily.
During the rest of the day I mostly use Chrome. I was a Firefox fan for many years but the last few years they have really gone downhill and are no longer my preferred browser.

But, since the Tuesday updates it has worked as advertised. Dunno what got into it but I hope it doesn't come back.
I really doubt it was the updates that fixed it because it had been fine until a week or two before I posted about the problem and if it was something that needed updating it should have been acting up all along.

HAPPY SURF(ACE)ING :)

I had the same problems during the last month, with IE really acting slow with pages like facebook (new router + 32Mbit)
Are you using IE or another browser?
Regarding your assumption: While your speed isn't the fastest, it's definitive fast enough for web surfing. But without a Traceroute and a router/modem reboot, the small possibility for your hardware/line being responsible for this remains.

TeknoBlast

I just replaced my Motorola cable modem. My previous Motorola was disconnecting constantly. At first, I thought it was the service. TWC tech came out and replaced some parts at the outside unit. After he left, it continued. That's when I decided to purchase the SB6121 model. After replacement, all disconnections stopped. So it could be the cable modem that's going bad on your end.

pierre118

Although I hate IE I use it in the morning, because it is the only touch enabled browser -- that works.

I like to read the comics on the msnbc and the local newspaper sites while having breakfast and I need a touch enabled browser to do that in order to be able to expand them large enough to read easily.
During the rest of the day I mostly use Chrome. I was a Firefox fan for many years but the last few years they have really gone downhill and are no longer my preferred browser.

But, since the Tuesday updates it has worked as advertised. Dunno what got into it but I hope it doesn't come back.
I really doubt it was the updates that fixed it because it had been fine until a week or two before I posted about the problem and if it was something that needed updating it should have been acting up all along.

HAPPY SURF(ACE)ING :)

I assume you are talking about Firefox? Do you use the regular version of Firefox or the (touch) nightly?

OP
Arizona Willie

Arizona Willie

Like I said, I don't really use Firefox anymore.
Hmm, I just ran Firefox on the Surface Pro and it did better than it used to.
In fact, I went to the comics page so I was comparing apples to apples and the items opened up large enough I didn't need to expand them.
I think I'll try it for a day or two and see how it does overall.
It ( Firefox ) had given me a lot of trouble before and that is why I dropped it in favor of Chrome.
When I tried to expand things before in Firefox, it took a minute or two before it responded and then it worked after I had given up on it.
I had problems with Firefox both on the desktop and the surface and was not happy at all to have to change browsers.
I tried everything. Un-installing and re-installing etc. etc. but nothing made it work right.

Chrome doesn't work in touch mode worth a d*mn, or perhaps I should say that I haven't been able to get it to work in touch mode. Maybe someone else has.

But I loved Firefox for years. I used it way way back when you bought annual subscriptions to use Mozilla.

I assume you are talking about Firefox? Do you use the regular version of Firefox or the (touch) nightly?