What's new

Wireless roaming on SP4

Grumpy001

I'm aware this has been asked before but would be grateful for news of any progress.

I have two access points in my house, both using the same SSID and password but two different channels (5 and 11). My SP4 will not switch from one to the other as I move locations.

In fact, once connected to one access point, the SP4 will not connect to the other at all. It shows a good signal (implying that it is seeing the new point) but refuses to connect. To connect I have to 'forget' the old network and add a new one. Then I have to do this all over again if I move back to where I started.

I know there was previously a debate about the wireless adaptor lacking a roaming aggressiveness setting. Is this still the issue?

Is setting the second access point to a different SSID the only workable solution? I have tried this in the past and it did work.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I imagine it may be due to the different channels. My parents house has about 7 access points dotted around it, all on the same channel etc, each with the same password and name, and my surfaces switch between them without an issue. I'm no help beyond that I'm afraid.

OP
G

Grumpy001

Thanks for this. All the advice I have seen is to use the same SSID/password but different channels to avoid interference. I've just tried with the same channel - doesn't help, I'm afraid.