What's new

Wireless speed

joga

Hi,

my AP at home supports 802.11n which allows up to 450 Mbit/s.

My Notebook and my Surface RT are connected to the same Wifi (5Ghz), same SSID. No doubts about that. I have 2 SSIDs broadcasted, one for 2.4 ghz and one for 5 ghz. My NB and my Surface RT are on the 5 ghz wifi.

On my Notebook i can reach download rates from my NAS of around 15 Mbit/s.
My Surface RT does not pass from 4.9 Mbit/s. Which is really slow. Way to slow to watch my Blu-ray Movies on the NAS.

Same result on 2.4 ghz.

Any one else having the same experience? Why is my Surface RT so much slower?

joga

J515OP

Super Moderator
There are a couple of threads about this. Try a forum search. What model is your router? It is most likely the problem. A firmware update may fix it.

OP
J

joga

i did a mistake on my original post.

With my NB i reach rates of 15MB/s and with my surface only 5MB/s.

I'm testing it with with 1 x Cisco AP 54 1N and 1 x new asus rt-n66u (AP mode). Only one AP is running at the same time. Both APs are running the newest firmware.

i will search the forum.

Any other thoughts?

R0bR

I'd be curious to see what speeds anyone on this forum is getting with wireless N at 5Ghz. I have done quite a bit of testing with this and the Surface will not go over about 4.9Mbps on wireless N. The fastest I've been able to get is 7-8 Mbps and that was on 2.4Ghz on my old Belkin router with a DD-WRT firmware on it. I also have the Asus RT-N66U, maybe there is something up with that model.

Mr.NK

Super Moderator
I'm getting between 3-5Mbps with a Netgear DGN 3500 on 2,4Ghz. Since owning a Home-server the WiFi-speeds are really starting to frustrate me, due to dropouts in streaming movies.

ArnoldC

I get 5MB/s max on my RT and 13MB/s on my Acer S3 on 2.4GHz. The latter can't connect to 5GHzz, but the former don't do anything better.

Last edited:

Dewg

You might just be seeing the write speed limitation of flash memory on the RT. Try going the other way, copy a large file off the RT to your NAS. Read speed on flash is much faster than write.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I get 5MB/s on my Wireless NAS as well, I wonder if the Marvell is using less antennas, as MS did everything to conserve battery it wouldn't surprise me if they made a trade off here...

R0bR

You might just be seeing the write speed limitation of flash memory on the RT. Try going the other way, copy a large file off the RT to your NAS. Read speed on flash is much faster than write.

No difference going the other way for me. Also if this was the case I should be able to copy from my NAS to an attached USB 2.0 drive and bypass internal storage at minimum 8-10 MB/s but it's the same 5MB/s.