What's new

Wireless Surround Sound (5.1) possible on Pro

mph

Hey guys,

I was wondering, whether it's possible to stream 5.1 audio from the Surface to a 5.1 active Surround System (Teufel Concept E Magnum)

Why am I asking: The 5.1 system is recently connected to my Desktop PC. I Would like to share these with my future pro.

Current Setup:
- 1 Desktop PC
- 5.1 System connected to the Desktop PC
- future Surface Pro

I know, i would need a A/V-Receiver to feed the 5.1 System from to diffrent sources. The question is: how can i get 5.1 soundtrack wirelessly from e.g. a movie i play on the surface to the AV-Receiver.

I know i need something like a AppleTV (or probably similar a raspberry pi) using AirPlay. It begs the question whether there are software solutions for my problem.

I guess the sound would have to be streamed undecoded to a AV-Receiver right?

When i write this it seems pretty easy, but it seems i dont get the concept in its entirety

Maybe someone can help me :)

best regards, mph

ArnoldC

Teufel Concept E Magnum is a 5.1 speaker system that needs to be fed by a 5.1 receiver.

My stolen Acer has a TOSLINK that I feed directly to my Harman/Kardon receiver. That easy.

Notebook -> optical cable -> H/K

My current Acer S3 no longer support TOSLINK, kinda dumb, if I may say. So I needed a USB to TOSLINK in the middle. This also solves the problem easily.

Notebook -> USB to optical -> optical cable -> H/K

However, you want to do this wirelessly. Firstly, you will need a wireless receiver with either COAX or TOSLINK output for your receiver's input. I'm not sure if the Surface Pro's PlayTo, does support such device. Or better yet, are there PlayTo-certified receivers? I didn't look.

edit:

As I suspected, Onkyo supports Microsoft's "PlayTo" platform. So as it stands now...

Surface Pro -> Wi-Fi - Onkyo -> Teufel Concept E Magnum

Last edited:

riley2323

Wired solution:The digital sound signal travels through HDMI...I would bet that you can just get a video cord that ends with male HDMI and either plug it into your receiver, or plug it into an LED TV that is daisy chained to your receiver.
Wireless: AirParrot will give you 20 minutes of test time for free though AppleTV. Then you have to buy it. It is very buggy with the screen resolution, but the sound worked ok.
Wireless: ScreenBeam seems to be another solution. ITC Chronicles: Day 7 ? How to Wirelessly Display (Mirror) the Surface Pro Windows 8 Tablet to a HDTV or HDMI Projector

Wireless: You should also be able to use Xbox, PS3, or the DLNA feature in a smartTV to stream as well.

Last edited:

Arizona Willie

Does the Surface Pro hook up to a PS3?

How?

Wired solution:The digital sound signal travels through HDMI...I would bet that you can just get a video cord that ends with male HDMI and either plug it into your receiver, or plug it into an LED TV that is daisy chained to your receiver.
Wireless: AirParrot will give you 20 minutes of test time for free though AppleTV. Then you have to buy it. It is very buggy with the screen resolution, but the sound worked ok.
Wireless: ScreenBeam seems to be another solution. ITC Chronicles: Day 7 ? How to Wirelessly Display (Mirror) the Surface Pro Windows 8 Tablet to a HDTV or HDMI Projector

Wireless: You should also be able to use Xbox, PS3, or the DLNA feature in a smartTV to stream as well.

jonjvaughn

More recollection than facts I'm afraid. blackberry used to have a buetooth gateway which recieved B sound and sen it into an aux cable into a reciver. Might have only ben twp-channel stereo though.

HD_Dude

Guys - here's an easy solution, in which 5.1 surround works brilliantly using the Surface Pro as a source:

I add my movie files to iTunes, then share them over my network to my Apple TV, which is connected to my HDTV for picture, and my THX 5.1 Denon receiver for audio.

The Dolby 5.1 surround sound is dazzling. Picture too, in full HD.

As I write this, I'm streaming Will Ferrell's 'The Campaign,' and all my speakers are doing their job: center, front R&L main, rear L&R surround, and the sub. Vibrant; lots of presence and full sound all around the room.

There are lots of ways to do this. I could have just as easily connected the Display connecter to an HDMI, fed it into my Panasonic plasma and let the digital audio output of that HD set feed into the Denon. Or, connected the USB to my audioGD compass headphone amp/DAC, and let the pre-amp feed the Denon. My Denon is older and does not have HDMI inputs, but as you can see, no big deal. In any scenario, it's full-blown 5.1 surround.

I'm not familiar with the speaker system you mentioned. But it just makes sense that since the Surface puts out 5.1 surround, all you need is a path to an amp or similar device to decode the signal and output it to speakers.

Regardless of the technique and cables/wireless/ethernet/DAC route you choose, rest assured, the Surface Pro does output 5.1 surround sound perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
mph

mph

ey guys,

sorry fpr the abscence. The bottom line of all of your posts seems like in anyway i need a AV-receiver, amp whatsoever to "distributing" incoming signal from PC or surface pro to the 5.1 speakers.

In the meantime i was looking into miracast (or formerly known as WiDi) so i can spare to plug in the displayport (in case im too lazy). It transmits the decoded moie and even better the whole screencontet to the receier.

As MS seems to let Marvell make the wireless chip, WiDi/Miracast is not available.
I dug up this little setup here
ScreenBeam Wireless Display Kit - SBWD100A, SBT100U
anyone using it on a laptop or even the SPRO? it seems a viable solution to my use-case and is based on miracast.

But i'm still wondering whether the software solution for the dongle is sort of propretary nature.