What's new

Wishlist for Windows 10 Tablet Mode on SP3

Impressions after nearly 3 weeks with #Win10 on my @surface Pro 3 - Tablet experience is a HUGE DOWNGRADE from Windows 8.1.

I really do like the Desktop Mode, and believe it is a huge improvement over Windows 8.1, but now I feel Windows 10 in Tablet Mode really needs some work. My Surface Pro 3 in Tablet Mode just does not have that same fluidity and elegance that I experienced under Win 8.1.

So here is a list of things for starters that I would like to see addressed in Windows 10 Tablet Mode.

1. Auto-hide taskbar option.

This should have been included in day one. Tablet users did enjoy the "immersive" screen viewing that was Windows 8.1 in Tablet Mode. Having the taskbar auto-hide when located at the bottom of the screen in Tablet Mode is a must to maintain the same UX we enjoyed under 8.1.

2. Separate Taskbar on-screen Location Options for Tablet Mode.

When in Tablet Mode, I've found having the Taskbar located on the right side of the screen is ideal for touch usage. This then places "search" along with "WiFi" and "Volume", accessible with a right thumb press, and the "Action Centre" with its quick access buttons accessible with a swipe in gesture from the right, almost mirroring the "charms" menu options previously available from a right edge swipe under Win 8.1.

I'd like to be able to set the Taskbar at the bottom when in Desktop Mode and at the Right-edge, when in Tablet Mode.

This should then auto-locate the Taskbar when switching between Tablet and Desktop modes.

Desktop (Taskbar at Bottom)

Win10 Beach Desktop.JPG

Tablet Mode (Taskbar at Right)

SP3_Win10_TabletMode3.JPG

3. Fix Snap.

a. It is currently broken for many Win8.1 apps. E.g. Kindle produces a vertical letterbox effect when snapped.

b. Task Switcher breaks Snap layout. In Windows 8.1 two or even three apps could be snapped, and switching from the snapped layout to another app would not break the layout of the snapped apps. You could switch back to the snapped apps in one swipe. In Windows 10 Tablet Mode, switching from the snapped apps layout breaks the snap. We now have to recreate the snap payout every time we switch back from another app.

c. Bring back three app snap.

4. The "All apps" display should populate the entire screen in Tablet Mode, as per Windows 8.1. Yeah, I know, its a "hamburger" menu thing. But at least when "All apps" are selected in Tablet Mode, spread the hamburger menu display area across the full width of the screen. That would do.

5. Bring back charms. :)

Last edited:

samurai

Charms are dead. They are not coming back. We need to move on.
I wouldn't mind options for Taskbar you suggested but the current state is not a deal breaker for me.
I do agree with 3rd and 4th point. Snap needs to be fixed and going through vertical list of apps in Tablet mode is stupid. I am guessing these two are on their way in future builds.

planeguy

I'd just like a return to "sweeping/panning" gestures again, like how you used to sweep up on the start screen to get your apps. I definitely see where you could do that for the "all apps" in win 10, but coming from the side instead of the bottom. Because no OS *COUGHWINDOWSPHONECOUGHACK* ahem, sorry. Because no OS has done that before.

But more in general, tapping little hamburgers in random spots all over the screen is a royal pain.

Also the old sweep from left for alt-tab from win 8... I can't get any work done in tablet mode.

Chuck_IV

I agree with the OP. Tablet mode is terribly inefficient when compared to 8.1. To just get to the desktop, you can't tell me that you actually prefer having to swipe from the right, turn off tablet mode, then touch somewhere else to remove the menu instead of simply touching the desktop "app" that was in 8.1. How is that better or more efficient?

Want to get to an app at the bottom of the app list? If you have a lot of apps, you've gotta scroll, scroll, then scroll some more to the bottom since all you get is a single row of app listings. In 8.1 just a single flick to the left and you are moving through your entire list as it is a grid listing. Again, how is the windows 10 method better or more efficient?

Oh yea, you want that task bar? Now you have it... everywhere in tablet mode with no way to remove it.

Because the devs, for whatever reason(I guessing because some dev thought it was a good idea to match what a windows PHONE does), felt the need to go to vertical scrolling instead of horizontal, now the tile presentation is horribly wasteful spacewise. Turn the tablet to portrait mode and you get a whopping TWO(2) columns of tiles. That's it. Again, how is this better?

This is what my problem is with Windows 10 tablet mode. It made many things inefficient compared to 8.1. They really didn't think all things through properly with tablet mode in 10. But that has been the MS way over the years so I guess I should't be surprised.

And as for doing things as per user feedback. Yes they take user feedback, but in my experience, they tend to implement thing their developers like, not what their users like. If a user idea meshes with a developer's like, then it happens, but if a developer wants it, you get it. Favorites menu moved to the right with no way to move to back to the left in IE comes to mind as a "we like it this way so you will too" moment.

It's frustrating that the tablet mode is such a step backwards when the desktop mode is such a step forward.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
They took all their design cues from Android and in one fell swoop ceded their future to Google, from here on out they will be reacting/chasing what they do.

Compusmurf

Use the windows feedback tool on your windows 10. Report each item separately as a suggestion to Microsoft. If you want to see changes, that is where you do it. They HAVE been listening to feedback and have implemented MANY many things that users have asked for. This is a sign of the "improved" Microsoft way. If you don't ask, you're guaranteed NOT to get anything. Your previous experience of feedback was valid, but they are seriously taking the company into a different direction with 10.

OP
P

Paul Chapman

Use the windows feedback tool on your windows 10.

Don't worry, have posted the first two in Windows Feedback. Will be adding the rest.

But I wholeheartedly agree with Chuck. "It's frustrating that the tablet mode is such a step backwards when the desktop mode is such a step forward."

I just feel something really, really good (SP3) has been compromised by a hobbled Tablet mode. Win 8.1, gesture wise, got it right, IMO. So Touch Tablet friendly. Tablet Mode in Win 10 has a long way to go.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why would I need to access the desktop? That's what the start screen is for. There is no desktop in tablet mode, because in win 10 it offers no purpose. why can't people understand that this is a different operating system, not just a change in GUI?

That is what the start screen is for. Ask @sharpcolorado how it works for him. I personally found the 8.1 menu and apps list to be a complete PITA, I much prefer the 10 version.

Exactly what I wanted :) And from feedback MS got, what a LOT of people wanted. The lack of a taskbar and the mandatory full screen apps was a massive irritation and one of the biggest complaints about MUI in 8.1, it was that which created such an awful disconnect between traditional and touch input.

But since you ask, mine is sat here in tablet mode autohiding the taskbar without a single problem. It's not that hard to click a box to autohide..
View attachment 6693

You are continuing not to get it. What is poor design and inefficient to you is not poor design and inefficient to me. There are certainly areas where yes, of course there are problems, such as the start screen in portrait, but if you are observant you'll notice almost the whole concept of portrait mode is flawed in 10, just as it was in 8.1.

Most of what people are getting upset about is nothing more than personal preference. You like left to right I like up and down. You cannot make everyone happy, the only way to do that is to end up with a control panel so complicated that people will end up screwing something up accidentally clicking around and not know how to go back. there is a fine line between giving the user options and inundating them to the point that they just go elsewhere. There was a thread about music players that proved just this.
Stop attacking posters for expressing their opinion.

If you would like to point out your superior view on the topic you might sway someone but this approach is not productive.

What your saying in a nutshell is, my view is all that matters and my ugly baby is beautiful, go pound sand.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pot, kettle, black. Shame those posts were conveniently deleted though eh ;)

How is me pointing out that what to some is just a mistake by MS is actually just a clash of opinion.

"Most of what people are getting upset about is nothing more than personal preference. You like left to right I like up and down"

Yep, that definitely sounds like "only my view matters"...

"ugly baby" sais it all. You hate win 10, we get it already. You seem to take every opportunity to slate win 10 and then attack me when I point out that I actually like X feature.
"You are continuing not to get it."

Discuss or debate the topic not the individuals.

And I'll delete these too.

OP
P

Paul Chapman

I agree with the OP. Tablet mode is terribly inefficient when compared to 8.1. To just get to the desktop, you can't tell me that you actually prefer having to swipe from the right, turn off tablet mode, then touch somewhere else to remove the menu instead of simply touching the desktop "app" that was in 8.1. How is that better or more efficient?

That's one I missed Chuck, but wholeheartedly agree.

Right now, folding the Type Cover back invokes "Tablet Mode" without any user input, as long as you first select the "Remember my response and don't ask me again" prompt and you do happen to have a Type Cover attached. But even then switching can be a bit laggy (2 seconds by my count). However, it's too bad if you don't have a Type Cover attached. Your stuck with Swipe and Tap and then Tap (Swipe to bring in the Action menu - Tap Tablet button on the Action menu - Tap on screen to make Action menu disappear) to switch from Tablet mode to Desktop mode and vice-versa. Not so with Win 8.1. One tap of the Desktop tile and your there. One tap of the Windows logo on the SP3 and you're back to Tablet mode.

I've tried the "Make Start use the full screen" option. Which virtually switches things totally around from Win 8.1. Instead of one Tap to bring up the Desktop, you sit in the desktop all day and use one Tap to bring up the Start Screen. Looks good in Desktop mode, but not good for Tablet usage. That pesky Task Bar still shows all the visual clutter of pinned and open app icons. A lot of clutter to behold for one who enjoyed the "immersive" Modern touch interface that is Win 8.1. Not to mention it is still Swipe-Tap-Tap to switch to Tablet mode. So this will be another for the "Wishlist".

6. Simplify gesture input for Tablet Mode Switching.

One solution, IMO, would be to at least get rid of the second Tap. Once you hit the "Tablet Mode" button on the Action Centre, the mode should change and the Action Centre disappear immediately, as it does when you tap "All settings" or "Note". Swipe 'n Tap should be it. This would at least put Win10 be on a par with Win 8.1 in this department.

Cheers,
PaulC.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for wrongly liking windows 10. It was silly of me.

Everything about windows 10 is wrong and couldn't possibly appeal to anyone. Bring on windows 10.8.1.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for wrongly liking windows 10. It was silly of me.

Everything about windows 10 is wrong and couldn't possibly appeal to anyone. Bring on windows 10.8.1.
This post is Passive Aggressive and childish but I'll let it stand as an example of what should not be done. It doesn't enrich understanding or point of view.