What's new

with a constantly blaring fan and worse touch controls, is windows 10 a loser for the SP3?

Sven

See my post here: Battery Life - Windows 8.1 vs 10 | Microsoft Surface Forums

Pretty much sums up my experience with Windows 10 "RTM" and insider updates versus 8.1 on SP3.

Conclusion: It's buggy and battery life as fallen off a cliff.

Edge seems to be a major culprit, and background system services.

A Windows 10 SP3 custom recovery image for those of ours with 8.1 as stock would probably help A LOT. Hello MS.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Those of you with the mSD card Fan issue, have you made the SD Card a default save location or moved folder to the card? Trying to narrow down if it is being caused by Symbolic Links and Indexing.

Compusmurf

Jnjroach, no, but i was able to confirm the interrupt issue IS tied to the sd card, but NOT tied to a specific driver. I ran tests in previous driver versions all the way back to 8.1 drivers for the realtek card reader. I am almost convinced it is something more core to the OS, acpi driver?

kristalsoldier

Those of you with the mSD card Fan issue, have you made the SD Card a default save location or moved folder to the card? Trying to narrow down if it is being caused by Symbolic Links and Indexing.

Under 8.1, yes, on this SP3, to take advantage of being able to move the OneDrive folder from C: to the mSD card. When I did the upgrade from 8.1 to W10, I made no changes at all.

Having said that, it triggers an interesting thought. I also upgraded my S3. But I had not installed a mSD card in that device. So, no mounting - no Symbolic Links etc. And, while there are no fans or vents etc. on the S3, the device does not get warm at all. Same apps on both devices, btw.

Another interesting bit: I rolled back to 8.1 at least twice from W10, but that was to reset the device. In each case, I had not taken our the mSD card - this is on the SP3. On 8.1, whatever I did - and I have forgotten exactly what I did though I am sure I have a record of it somewhere - my SP3 was cool and had damn good battery life (based on my usage etc. of course). In other words, no mSD related problems.

Currently, I have taken out the mSD from my SP3 and it is working flawlessly though I am still not sure about the battery life. Still observing.

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not seeing the behavior on my SP3 with a card in but I only use it for archive....

IvanDeMiguel

My SP3 i3 had excellent battery life under W 8.1 and connected standby worked most of the times witout problems (wifi caused few problems from time to time, nothing to worry about).

But with the W10 update the connected standby is a nightmare. Battery life in connected standby is offensive. Sleepstudy tells me that mSD card reader is the main offender, followed by wifi issues.

I am so disgusted that I've enabled Hyper-V to disable connected standby... until it seem there's a solution to mSD problems.

I use mSD as location for Pictures, Music and Videos folders. I keep Onedrive in C:

CrippsCorner

Yeah same here with my original Surface Pro... sometimes it actually gets too hot to hold :eek: I think, from my experience, Edge is to blame. Using Chrome keeps it much cooler but the rendering is crap in tablet mode. Now I really could do with those extra hinge positions!