What's new

With killing spree looming, Elop’s rivals at Microsoft strike first

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
stephen-elop_nokia-president-ceo.jpg

We found this very interesting read over on BGR and thought it was worth sharing. After checking it out, come back and sound off in the thread what you think of Stephen Elop potentially taking over Microsoft.

Ever since Elop left Microsoft to run Nokia, his rivals back in Redmond have been preparing for his return and likely attempt to seize control of the company. Immediately after Microsoft’s deal to acquire Nokia’s handset unit was announced, Elop became one of three leading candidates to become the next CEO. Should he succeed, his modus operandi will be similar to what he demonstrated at Nokia: Kill all major initiatives that threaten his own turf, get rid of all high-level executives who cannot be shaped into loyal allies and bring in absolutely loyal lieutenants.

The formula worked like a charm at Nokia where placid Finnish executives bent to his will or agreed to fade out without a fuss. But Redmond is...

Continue Reading @: Elop Microsoft CEO Strategy Analysis: Can execs prevent killing spree? | BGR

Surface2Air

I can't help but get the feeling that Microsoft is in for another decade or so filled with management power struggles, departmental infighting, and generally bad decision making as a result, if the board sticks with an MS "insider."

With all the attempts by Steve Ballmer recently to change the culture at Microsoft, it would be a shame if the company retreated back to the (executive) mindset that it's still the 90's. I think Ballmer figured things out about Microsoft's place in the new world order of mobile, but it was too late to save his job.

Seems like fresh blood is needed at the top, and in the boardroom if MS really is to change its culture. The last thing MS needs, imho, is an atmosphere of competition among its divisions, and this story sounds like MS executives are preparing for warfare between cliques. That can't be good. I wonder who the rank and file at Redmond are hoping to see as the new boss.

ARosch

I can't help but get the feeling that Microsoft is in for another decade or so filled with management power struggles, departmental infighting, and generally bad decision making as a result, if the board sticks with an MS "insider."

With all the attempts by Steve Ballmer recently to change the culture at Microsoft, it would be a shame if the company retreated back to the (executive) mindset that it's still the 90's. I think Ballmer figured things out about Microsoft's place in the new world order of mobile, but it was too late to save his job.

Seems like fresh blood is needed at the top, and in the boardroom if MS really is to change its culture. The last thing MS needs, imho, is an atmosphere of competition among its divisions, and this story sounds like MS executives are preparing for warfare between cliques. That can't be good. I wonder who the rank and file at Redmond are hoping to see as the new boss.

This is why I really hope that they bring in Alan Mulally.