What's new

Word 2013 a complete disaster.

mitchellvii

Have you heard? MS has added an exciting new text rendering engine to Word 2013? The result is that fonts are now so horribly pixelated you almost cannot read them. And guess what else? MS has no intention of fixing it because they tell us it's "better" and we "like" it. No MS, we don't like it.

MS is seriously the most insane, screwed up software company of all time. It is as if they have a Breaking Things Czar who is in charge of messing up what already works and replacing it with what nobody wants.

UPDATE: It is confirmed that MS has done away with ClearType font anti-aliasing in Windows 8 Metro and Office 2013. Sad.

http://blog.quppa.net/2012/07/17/office-2013-further-evidence-of-the-demise-of-cleartype/

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Can you explain this a bit? I use Office 2013 - albeit the RT version - I am not seeing any difference between a document generated on Word 2013 there and a document generated in Word 2010 (on my desktop)?

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Can you explain this a bit? I use Office 2013 - albeit the RT version - I am not seeing any difference between a document generated on Word 2013 there and a document generated in Word 2010 (on my desktop)?

You wont notice it so much on a small screen like your tablet. Try looking at documents on a large screen. The pixelization is HORRIBLE. As usual, MS did something to break what was working just fine. Google it, there are complaints all over the web.

kristalsoldier

You wont notice it so much on a small screen like your tablet. Try looking at documents on a large screen. The pixelization is HORRIBLE. As usual, MS did something to break what was working just fine. Google it, there are complaints all over the web.

I see. Well...can't replicate it for obvious reasons. The only way I can probably replicate it is if I hook up the RT to my monitor, which I also can't do at the moment. Don't have the appropriate cables.

Afy

I havent noticed this on either RT or Win 8 Pro on a 23 inch monitor. My eyes are not the best either..

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

Open a 2013 Word doc at 100% zoom on a 23 inch monitor. it is unreadable. Do same with a Word 2010 document and it is crystal clear.

bosamar

I havent noticed this on either RT or Win 8 Pro on a 23 inch monitor. My eyes are not the best either..

Same here. I've got Office 2013 on three desktops all with 21-23-inch monitors and they all looks fine to my old eyes.

compnovo

Open a 2013 Word doc at 100% zoom on a 23 inch monitor. it is unreadable. Do same with a Word 2010 document and it is crystal clear.

I've got the same document side-by-side, one in the original 2003-2007 .doc format and the other in 2013 .docx format, on my Acer 27" monitor (1920x1080) and I cannot see any difference. To see if the problem is an issue with the tablet I just created a Word document on my RT, stored it on Skydrive, and opened in on my desktop to compare with the others after matching the font. Again, no discernible difference. Like the others, I suspect there's something else going on.

HD_Dude

I have seen this - but only when opening an Office document in SkyDrive.

When I save a document to SkyDrive, and open it, it does look pixelated. Word, Excel, all of it.

Is that what you're doing?

Because I've also found that when you upload a document to SkyDrive, sometimes it's very unclear when you open it, whether you're opening it in the cloud, or on your actual PC. The line between the two can become blurred (so to speak).

Anyway, if you use SkyDrive, I'd try making sure you're not inadvertently opening up your document in the cloud.

Good luck.